Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting up new home network/media share

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bcurrey

bcurrey

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:30 PM

I'm building a new house. We bought it just in time for me to run Cat5e wiring to all the spots in the house where I wanted it (with some extra runs for future expansion). 

I have 11 Cat5e runs starting in the garage, and scattering all over the house. Right now, I only have 5 of them “reserved”.

-       One in the attic will be connected to a Unifi Long Range AP.

-       Another in the garage will be connected to a Unifi LR AP

-       Three of them will be connected to cameras.

All of the others are routed to bedrooms, office, etc. Ultimately, I want to get to where I can watch movies, etc from a NAS from any room or device in my house. That’s going to be a few months before I’m there.

First month in the house, I just need to get the Unifi AP’s up and running. What do I need to buy now, to get connected to the Unifi AP’s but also allow everything to be in place for my future plans?

I’ve been reading up on everything, but I’m a bit confused. If I understand correctly this is how things will work:

1)     the internet connection (Comcast) will come into the house and into the modem.

2)    I’ll connect the modem to a router – Is this correct? Any recommendations on router?

3)    The 11 Cat5 runs I have in the house will all plug into the other slots on the router.

Is this logic correct? Is using a router better than a hub or switch?

I appreciate your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:39 PM

You're not going to have enough ports on the router.  The cable modem supplied by Comcast will most likely also be a router.  You want to take one of the router connections and connect it to a 12 port switch.  These are 10/100/1000 switches from New Egg.  I just did a quick search for more than 12 ports.  You may be able to find a 12 port 10/100/1000 switch but their filters didn't seem to have what I was looking for.

Basically think of your network flow like a funnel.  By connecting your cable modem to your router to a 16 port switch you will have the best communication between your wired devices and to the Internet.

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:48 PM

" Is using a router better than a hub or switch?"

You have to use a router because it does NAT [network address translation] which is to say it takes the one ip address Comcast gives you and does a "many to one' which is where the router provides you private ip for as many devices as can be supported by the ip range and hardware you have installed.

It is not uncommon to have more network lines than ports and that's where the suggested switch comes into play.  I would recommend a single connection between switch and router though so everyone gets equal bandwidth from the router.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users