I'm building a new house. We bought it just in time for me to run Cat5e wiring to all the spots in the house where I wanted it (with some extra runs for future expansion).
I have 11 Cat5e runs starting in the garage, and scattering all over the house. Right now, I only have 5 of them “reserved”.
- One in the attic will be connected to a Unifi Long Range AP.
- Another in the garage will be connected to a Unifi LR AP
- Three of them will be connected to cameras.
All of the others are routed to bedrooms, office, etc. Ultimately, I want to get to where I can watch movies, etc from a NAS from any room or device in my house. That’s going to be a few months before I’m there.
First month in the house, I just need to get the Unifi AP’s up and running. What do I need to buy now, to get connected to the Unifi AP’s but also allow everything to be in place for my future plans?
I’ve been reading up on everything, but I’m a bit confused. If I understand correctly this is how things will work:
1) the internet connection (Comcast) will come into the house and into the modem.
2) I’ll connect the modem to a router – Is this correct? Any recommendations on router?
3) The 11 Cat5 runs I have in the house will all plug into the other slots on the router.
Is this logic correct? Is using a router better than a hub or switch?
I appreciate your help!