Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop plugged in, not charging. Battery at 0%

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Gerbils74

Gerbils74

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:50 PM

Hi, basically the problem in the title. Laptop does work without battery in but when it is in, it says Plugged in, not charging and the battery is at 0%. Ive tried several different outlets

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 03:26 PM

Your battery has died, you need to buy a new one.  Same thing happened to me a couple of times over the over the years.

Have a great day!

:bananas: :bounce:

#3 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 03:32 PM

Most likely yes, the battery is dead. However I've noticed on a few different laptops that this can happen when the battery is just very very low, and leaving it plugged in for 20-30 minutes fixes the issue. If you've left it charging for more than an hour or so and it's still at 0%, you most likely need a new battery.

But, it could also be the charger malfunctioning, only providing enough charge to power the laptop but not to charge the battery. Do you get any messages when you boot your computer about the battery capacity being low? A lot of newer laptops will warn you when the battery is dying/dead.

-- Matt

#4 firespin

firespin

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:27 PM

Some laptops also have some sort of bug that sometimes appear and prevents the battery at times from recharging. (I have experienced this with a Acer laptop before) Try turning off and unplug the laptop, and take out the battery for about 15-30 minutes. Then put everything together again and try recharging the battery for about 30 minutes to a hour without using the laptop.

Edited by firespin, 19 August 2014 - 07:34 PM.

#5 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:41 AM

It could be a dead battery or the charger.  I had problems with Dell laptops being especially finickly about using dell branded chargers and correct amps.

#6 Gerbils74

Gerbils74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:13 AM

Whelp, over night i left my laptop on hibernate and just turned it on to see my battery fully charged. Thanks for all the quick replies!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users