Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Os Prob

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mike55

mike55

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 04 June 2006 - 06:28 AM

I have posted this elsewhere on this site and have now been advised to post here. I have Packard Bell desktop, running Xp Home SP2. I dont have an install or recovery disc. My brother and Dad, both with Packard Bell's, don't either. My PC wont logon, getting ole32.dll missing error messages. I cant boot in safe mode as i get the same message. I have been advised I need to do a repair install but dont know how to do it without a disc. Can i borrow one? I also have a lot of data I dont want to lose if i can help it. Do I just take the machine to a local repair shop? For what it's worth, I think the problems happened due to my firewall not working properly and getting bugs on the system. Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 08:07 AM

While it is just beginning to boot (before Windows begins to start), do you see a "Recovery" option shown you on the bottom of the screen just about as soon as you can see the monitor go on and before Windows begins?

If not, can you boot into safe mode with command prompt?

Edited by Enthusiast, 04 June 2006 - 08:08 AM.

#3 mike55

mike55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 09:01 AM

I dont see the recovery option. If i boot into safe mode, with command prompt, i get the same error messages and end up ina box with cmd.exe at the top with a blue background. It then says C:\Documents and Settings\Mike>

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 09:57 AM

The problem with not having those cds is when you have a problem, as you are having now, you cannot use repair functions like replacing bad system files, etc.

Is the computer still under warranty?

What model Pac Bell do you have?

#5 mike55

mike55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 10:27 AM

I dont know what model, it is 3 years old, 60g hard disk, 256ram (AMD), dont know alot more without logging on, which i can't! Would it make sense to buy (and then i can use it again) a XP Home CD, or see if i can borrow one? I have friends who may have one. Are there implications in not having SP2 on the disk? Thanks

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 10:35 AM

To buy an XP Home installation cd would enable you to do a fresh install of XP, but it will cost you somewhere around $80 - $100 (I have seen them advertised for thet on sale recently at Bestbuy). That would cure your problem both now and in the future but trying to find out if your PC has a restore partition and getting it to restore your PC if possible would cost you nothing.

If you look at the back of your computer you can probably find the sticker with the model number (and also the key number which would really be nice!)

The model and serial number will probably be a sticker with a bar code on the side or back of your PC.

#7 mike55

mike55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 11:13 AM

Ok am getting there. Have found that PB have included a recovery disc, but that would restore HD to factory setings and lose all my data! I was interested in getting the XP Home disc in order to "repair install" so as to not lose data. Is that not possible? The handbook refers to partioning but it is not clear which model it is referring to, it is a rather generic handbook. The sticky lable says NEC Computers, Product Key T2JW9-BWQFR-7RF82-CT6QQ-M47TQ. Not sure about model numner, there is 6859570100 and, undera barcode, 00043-455-727-413. There is also on the label, X08-73061. Hope this helps, thanks again

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 01:25 PM

The model number should be something like IMEDIA 3391 or similar

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 01:30 PM

See if this is your computer
http://support.packardbell.com/fi/item/ind...34220291&t=1409

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 01:57 PM

See if this is your computer
http://support.packardbell.com/fi/item/ind...34220291&t=1409

In any case, a Windows disk will likely not be able to do a repair install because in most commercially manufactured computers, Windows is installed by imaging the hard drive, not by installing the Windows operating system software, which is what the Windows XP Home disk does.

Boot with the restore disk and see if there is a repair option as well as a full restore. If there is and if you have a lot of data that you cannot afford to loose, the easiest and best way to recover that data is to physically remove the hard drive and install it as a slave in another computer that works.

You then should be able to transfer the data to the master drive on that computer and burn it to cds so you can replace it once the non-working computer is fixed.

Replace your original hard drive back as a master in your computer.

You would then use the restore cd to restore to repair Windows if it has that option, or if it doesn't use the Restore function to revert your computer back to its original factory system state.

After that is completed you will have to redownload all Windows updates that you had installed since the computer was new, and generally set up the machine as you did when it was new.

If you are going to do this, the computer must be disconnected from the internet while this process is being done, and the only things that can be connected to it are the monitor, a PS2 keyboard, and a PS2 mouse (you cannot use a USB keyboard or mouse as USB will not function until Windows is reinstalled) If you added a second hard drive, disconnect it and disconnect any other device you added that did not come in it from the factory when new.

After the restore you need to reinstall all programs you added, make sure the Windows Firewall is turned on, connect (and install your speakers if necessary), reinstall the printer and whatever other peripherals you added after you owned the computer.

Next - go to Windows Updates and installing all updates that it tells you that your computer needs.

Then you can use the cds you made to restore the data.

Edited by Enthusiast, 04 June 2006 - 02:01 PM.

#11 mike55

mike55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2006 - 12:39 AM

My model is more like this one: [url=http://support.packardbell.com/uk/item/index.php?i=platform_clipper_iwork&g=1400[/url]. The manual says that the recovery disc will remove all data and return OS to how it was set in the factory, dont know enough about pcs to do the slave master hard disc thing, I guess I will have to take the PC to be repaired somewhere and have them transfer the data if need be. There's no easy way for me to transfer the data? Thanks

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2006 - 07:36 AM

If the computer would boot to Windows, yes there is an easy way to backup the computer's files to cds, dvds, an external drive, etc, but unless you can get to Windows it's more complicated.

You can download something like puppy linux.

It will rum in RAM and doesn't even have to be installed but may let you copy and burn your data to cd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users