Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

smbus no driver

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bcmudd

bcmudd

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:15 PM

After install of windows 8.1 on a asus cm6870, and the updating to the asus 8.1 chipset, I suddenly have no driver loaded for the Intel® 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SMBus Host Controller - 1E22.  In device manager under events it says driver installed and configured but when driver details it says no driver is installed...  Also Xeon® processor E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor DRAM Controller - 0150
under driver details it says no driver but in events is say driver installed, driver configured and driver started.  It says this device is working properly.       I believe after install they both had drivers and all normal.   How Can I reset all chipset drivers??  Maybe need to go with aus windows 7 or 8 chipset utility because the 8.1 chipset utility I used was from the non OEM motherboard Asus p8h77m Pro. AsusTek told me it would work.   What can I do. It would be nice if I could just fix the two items as the computer is working prett good and installed with UEFI bios with secure boot.  Using IDE hard drive mode instead of AHCI seems to be working better and hard drive controllers are installed good with 8.1 drivers from asus chipset utility.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:40 PM

According to ASUS' site, they don't have an 8.1 chipset driver yet. Perhaps the 8 driver will work, but there are no guarantees.

Honestly, if you aren't noticing any issues, you are probably fine. Chipset drivers handle very low-level motherboard features, and unless you know you're missing something, you'll probably never notice (other than poking around Device Manager). Are you having any specific issues?

-- Matt

#3 bcmudd

bcmudd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:56 PM

Okay so I have the Asus windows 7-8 chipset utility.  AsusTek told me I could use the 8.1 chipset utility from the non OEM motherboard, the P8H77M Pro. I  installed the 8.1 version one at a time from my downloads folder. Should I run the exe instead. What is the correct procedure for this. Can I just run it without any switches or should I apply a switch?   I have also seen to run it from within windows sys32 folder..   What do you think   Can I try to run the 8.1 and then if not fixed run the 7-8 utility.   If these don't work I am going to reinstall OS..    I regret having punched this computer. The Frys salesman assured me it was the latest and greatest Asus had to offer. At the time the 7 series chipset had just come out. I didn't realize till latter that the motherboard is a scaled back version on the P8H77M pro. Widows 7 came installed and works ok, but was a little buggy and the hard drive performance was terrible.  Windows 8.1 is performing very stable and hard drive working better. At one time all these chipset drivers were ok.  Do you think it was that I ran them one at a time from the device manager and did not run the chipset utility?

#4 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 03:08 PM

There is really no correct procedure. Not having up to date chipset drivers is not going to affect the stability of your system. There are certain low level motherboard features, perhaps support for SATA 3, a higher speed RAM, etc that a chipset driver can enable. But if you aren't aware of any issues, you will never notice.

I'm not sure why you would notice a difference in hard drive performance between Windows 7 and 8. What program were you using to test the hard drive?

Generally it is not recommended to install drivers from the Device Manager, you usually only use it to check for errors or to uninstall drivers. I am not familiar with the Asus chipset utility, but I assume it is a 'universal' installer that scans your system and installs the proper driver automatically.

Again, though, if you are not having any issues, don't stress over it.

-- Matt

#5 bcmudd

bcmudd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 03:35 PM

Thank you.  This is what I want to accomplish.  The CM6870 as you mentioned does not have windows 8.1 chipset utility on Asus website. They only have Windows 7 and 8 updates for the chipset which is a Intel 7 series chipset. This chipset has advanced features to connect CPU, Memory, and Video hardware. Asus made custom Drivers to also take advantage of Speed Step technology and what the call EUA which is accessed by the AI Suite software.  I wish I could just run the Intel Chipset software for the seven series chipset. But according to both Intel and Asus, using the Asus chipset software is a must.  Since this computer runs so well with Windows 8.1 I have had to do a little tweaking because of the OEM motherboard. I have narrowed down all the Bios settings to get the hard drive to perform well and be able to go pure UEFI with SECURE BOOT fully functional with no compatibility mode at all. The only thing left is to get the ASUS chipset drivers installed to take advantage of the ASUS technology. This computer actually is pretty kick ass when everything is set up properly.  I am willing to take to time to reinstall OS till I get it right.

So I should just run the ASUS chipset utility right from the Setup file?  How about any of the switches????   Can I run more than one?  Should I disable or delete current drivers? I appreciate you help as when searching the internet I cant seem to find a clear answer to this question.

My only version of windows 7 is on a hard drive that came with the computer. I do have a four disc image I made and I believe their is a hidden reinstall or fixer image on the hard drive. But cant do a clean install of 7 without all the bloat ware. Perhaps that's why the poor hard drive performance. Plus I really like the way 8.1 is set up compared to Windows 7.

Edited by bcmudd, 19 August 2014 - 03:48 PM.

#6 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 03:45 PM

At this point, you probably won't get an accurate answer unless you can find someone with the exact same issue, or someone who is VERY well versed in motherboad chipsets/software. Unfortunately, I am not one of those hardware gurus, so I wouldn't even know where to start.

My only recommendation would be to make sure the operating system you are using is officially (and fully) supported by the manufacturer (including compatible drivers). It's unfortunate that you didn't have good results talking with the manufacturer directly, maybe if you try contacting them again, someone else can give you better advice.

-- Matt

#7 bcmudd

bcmudd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:01 PM

Yes you are right. My only option is to go ahead and try to get a windows 7 install disc from fry's electronics as Asus is wiping their hands. And I would rather run windows 8.1 anyways.  So much for a store bought OEM computer.  I am a tech type hot-rodder and I have to have the best performance possible out of my computer.  I will probably give this $900 desktop to my daughter and build my own.  I have to say Asus is not on the top of my list right now.  Will probably go with Intel...   Makes sense that the chipset manufacture would make the best motherboard and have the correct software to make it work well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users