Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

which modem/router approx 50-60 quid

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 HokkaHokka

HokkaHokka

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:02 PM

Hello,

I'm moving home and am planning on chaging broadband provider to Xilo Talk & Surf unmetered. I have the option of either going with their routers (Technicolor 582N or Technicolor TG589vn at £43 & £46 respectively) or going with my own.

I'm not too convinced about the routers they are offering for the price but having never had wireless broadband before I am a bit confused about what I will need.

Achievable speeds in my area are around 7.5mb-15mb & the kids like games such as Club Penguin etc.

We also have a tablet which will run off the same router and I also occasionally download large files such as movies & games off of Steam.

What should I be looking at in terms of router to ensure I have a consistently good experience? I'm prepared to spead around £60 but will consider more if strongly recommended/a false economy.

One option i am looking at is the Netgear Wireless-N 300 Router at £44.02

Does this look a solid option or can I better for a similar price?

Thank you

HH

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:16 PM

I'm assuming you are referring to the modem/gateway (the device that plugs directly into the phone/cable line). Generally these devices have routers built in, so it isn't 'wrong' to call them routers, it's just not specific. Many people have a modem and a separate router, so it's necessary to clarify.

But assuming you are talking about the main modem/gateway, make sure you find out what version of DSL/etc. your ISP provides, and then make sure any routers you are looking at are compatible with that version of DSL. Some examples are ADSL, ADSL2, VDSL, etc. Just be certain that the router you buy matches exactly what your ISP says.

I know that doesn't really answer your question, just some things to consider.

-- Matt

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:14 AM

Something the more expensive options have is faster and more powerful wireless.  For example "Wireless N" covers a range of performance levels from theoretical connection speeds of about 150 Mbit/s upwards, and some but not all "N" routers are dual band, able to communicate in both the 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz bands.  Beyond that, the newest standard is "Wireless AC" which promises both more reliable and faster connections.  802.11ac vs 802.11n - What's the difference.  Of course the higher speeds will only be available on devices that support them, and internet speed will be limited by what you get from the ADSL connection.  It is worth getting one with decent wireless though as there is nothing more frustrating than a crappy wireless router that drops connections to your devices at random.

"Wireless AC" routers are a bit beyond your set budget for now. The one I've currently got, which I'm happy with in terms of internet speed and wireless quality is this TP Link ADSL Router. It's not AC, but wireless connectivity seems a lot better than the Linksys WAG320N ADSL gateway/router which it replaced.  I'm getting fewer dropped connections over wireless and as it runs 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz simultaneously, I can also now use the less crowded 5Ghz band on some devices which I find more reliable. When I upgraded to fibre, the ISP gave me a Technicolor TG582n router FOC but I decided not to use it, as the reviews were not good and I was happy with the TP Link router I already had.  So I've got the Tecnicolor as a spare.  I'm currently using the TP Link on an 80 Mbit fibre connection (a repackaged version of BT Infinity) which has it's own modem, but until quite recently was using it with ADSL2+ directly connected to the phone line.  It was pretty good, I was getting around 16 Mbit internet connection speed, which was about the limit on ADSL in my area.

One advantage of the ISP's option is that it will probably be supplied pre-configured and ready to go.  If you buy your own, there's a certain amount of configuration you will have to do yourself.  At a minimum you will have to put in the right settings to set up the ADSL connection, and set up your wireless network (use WPA2 and a strong password).  Your ISP will provide generic instructions for setting up ADSL but they probably won't be able to offer much support on how to set up your router if it's not one they supply.

Edited by jonuk76, 20 August 2014 - 06:22 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users