Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen with cursor after windows logo, GPU driver problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JaminTay

JaminTay

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:52 PM

Hi guys,

Just recently, when I was playing a game, the display on my laptop suddenly black out and there were some lines. I manually power it down by holding the power button. When I on it again, the cursors and the images were haywire. Subsequently, whenever I on my laptop I will see the windows logo and after that the desktop never loads. I only see a black screen with my cursor. At the moment, the only way for me to bootup normally into Windows is to disable my AMD Radeon HD6970M adapter and use the standard VGA adapter. I tried many things but I am still unable to fix the problem. I still cannot use my AMD Radeon graphics adapter. I took the following steps

1) I perform chkdsk /f

2) I installed the latest AMD display drivers from their website

3) I updated the drivers from device manager (2011 drivers)

4) I did a startup repair, but no problems was found

5) I used windows memtest but no errors were discovered

6) I formatted my windows partition, reinstall windows 7 and reinstalled all the drivers from my PC (Samsung) manufacturer software and drivers disc.

7) I used windows update and update everything

8) I tried the fix it registry as per microsoft website

9) I press F8 and used last known good configuration settings

Is my graphic card faulty?

Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 21 August 2014 - 09:07 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:16 PM

Boot into Safe Mode with networking to see if the problem persists there.

Safe Mode uses a limited number of drivers and applications.  One of the driver is a graphics driver.  If Windows boots to the desktop it most likely is the graphics driver.

What is the make and model of this laptop?

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 JaminTay

JaminTay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:42 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/qk4sRgOhQLPZ6Zb81D1YZ8r

Hi thanks for your help.

The model of the laptop is Samsung 700G7A-S01. I am able to boot into safe mode without problems. I dont really know why suddenly this problem happen. Previously, I was using the exact same driver without problems.

#4 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:01 PM

It could be that the AMD graphics "card" is malfunctioning. Maybe overheating issues?

I noticed on your log that MyPC Backup was installed, this program is generally considered adware. You should probably look into scanning for malware as well.

You definitely seem to have narrowed down that it is the AMD graphics, as the standard VGA driver works fine (and you've tried new AMD drivers). This could still be a malware issue though. Just my 2 cents.

-- Matt

#5 JaminTay

JaminTay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:05 PM

It could be that the AMD graphics "card" is malfunctioning. Maybe overheating issues?

I noticed on your log that MyPC Backup was installed, this program is generally considered adware. You should probably look into scanning for malware as well.

You definitely seem to have narrowed down that it is the AMD graphics, as the standard VGA driver works fine (and you've tried new AMD drivers). This could still be a malware issue though. Just my 2 cents.

Hi koko,

I accidentally installed mypcbackup when I installed speccy. I tried two different AMD drivers but both does not work (the driver given by my manufacturer was working previously for all these years). I can install them but when I restart my computer, the black screen problems happen again.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:02 AM

Run AdwCleaner, it should remove the third party software which was embedded in the download.

Just for future reference, when you go to install a downloaded program do the custom installation.  This mode will allow you to see all of the embedded software and decline the installation.  If you do the "suggested" installation it will automatically install the third party software.

Please download AdwCleaner and install it.

When AdwCleaner opens you will see an image like the one below.

adwcleaner11_zps48314883.png

Click on Scan to start the scan.

Once the search is complete a list of the pending items will be displayed.  If you see any which you do not want removed, remove the check mark next to it.  

Click on Clean to remove the selected items.  If you have any questions about any items in the list please copy and paste the list in your topic so we can review it.  

You will receive a message telling you that all programs will be closed so that the infections can be removed.  Click on OK.

When the cleaning process is complete a log of what was removed will be presented.  Please copy and the paste this log in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users