Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Satellite L75DD-S5251 Randomly Shuts Down

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Abnonymous

Abnonymous

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:25 PM

(This is my first time posting to this forum, so hopefully this is in the right place...)

I can't post the computer's specs just yet, since getting it to stay on long enough is a huge struggle at this point. Will update when I can.

After turning on the laptop, it will stay on for maybe a few second before shutting down. The power and battery lights will start flashing orange, and won't stop unless you unplug it. I stopped using a battery and have just been running it on the charger, because it originally seemed like it could have been a bad battery. 

Went to a replacement shop and got another battery, but it only works occasionally. Charging only seems to really happen when the computer is shut completely down, and the battery depletion doesn't seem accurate on the task bar. 

I've had the same thing happen to another toshiba satellite laptop, and the odd thing is they both seem to run a bit better in safe mode. 

So far I've tried:

- Removing the disk drive.

- Dusting it out (full disassemble)

- Holding down the power button without the battery/charger in

- Fairly confident it's not the power button problem, since I have to press the button pretty hard to get it to make contact.

I think it could possibly be the port, especially since it's not soldered in the way it's supposed to be, but I'm not sure and would like some more experienced feedback. I'm not exactly a newbie, but nowhere near competent enough to figure this out completely.

Could it be the motherboard? This computer doesn't seem to have any heating issues, though I do remember it running on the warmer side - my other toshiba did too, though it lasted five years and this one has only lasted one.

If it is the port, could you guys direct me to a good website to order it from? The only one I see is from amazon, with shipping taking 21 days to a month, and I'd rather not wait that long. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:10 AM

Make/model of lappy would be nice.

General advice;

1. If the input power jack is indeed loose, then that is usually a MB replacement. On some lappys the input power circuit may be a discrete PCB (which may lower the cost), but that isn't usually the case. It's possible you may be able to repair the solder joint, but you'll need to find a repair shop with that capability.

2. The cost of MB replacement would be, oh, ~ $200-$400 with labor. Most people find it a better investment to put that money toward a new lappy/PC.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:45 AM

Make/model of lappy would be nice.

See topic title :).

Louis

#4 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:53 PM

@ Louis,

Completely missed the forest watching those trees, Thank You.

@ Abnonymous,

Here is a teardown of your model's class of lappys, http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Toshiba-Satellite-L755-L755D-L750-L750D/dismantle-laptop-1.htm .

It looks as if the DC input board may be discrete, which means a replacement part may be cheaper and/or the input power jack may be easier to solder.

Good Luck.

Edited by ElfBane, 20 August 2014 - 12:54 PM.

#5 Abnonymous

Abnonymous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:15 PM

Thanks for all of the feedback! So should I try replacing the DC jack first, just to be sure? I've heard that you can't tell if the DC jack is busted just from looking at it, right?

#6 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 03:03 AM

What does visual inspection reveal? Is the pin loose,,, can you wiggle it? Does the solder joint to the pin seem cracked? Is the pin still even there? I can't tell these things, you have to go into the lappy. BTW, tearing down a lappy is quite a project. You need to be very careful, there are delicate connectors that are easily broken by force. You'll need a container for many screws, and a plastic wedge (a hard plastic guitar pick will do) to break open the panel snap connectors. It's quite challenging if you've never done it before. Good Luck.

#7 Abnonymous

Abnonymous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:08 AM

I've opened this one up twice before to check out the problem, and the only visible issue I can see is that the end of the dc jack was completely unsoldered (the part you plug the charger into). It wasn't connected to anything, and the only thing holding it in place is the little slot it fits into. I was actually able to completely remove it without pulling on anything - it just slid out.

As a note I had the same thing start happening with another toshiba satellite after I dropped it on the port with the charger connected. So maybe that's the common denominator? 

#8 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:43 AM

You would be amazed at how kids, college kids, and some adults (the ones that still aren't paying for these things out of their own pocket!) treat laptops. They act like these things are indestructible and grow on trees if they do break. But anyway, the DC input is just a weak point and its hard to engineer out of the design. Laptop makers are slaves to miniaturization and minimal weight. Some lappy makers do make ruggedized products though... but bring a bank with you if ya wanna buy one!

#9 Abnonymous

Abnonymous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:01 PM

Extremely good point! I've had a family member go through three or four in about two years. And it doesn't help that with lighter designs comes more fragility... I'll try replacing the dc input and check back in if it works. If I would have known that I could have gotten the same laptop specs for about a thousand bucks less with a different brand, I wouldn't be so desperate to fix it!

Hopefully this is just a twenty dollar fix!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users