Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to replace hdd?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Xirw

Xirw

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:09 PM

If you have a tablet, how do you replace the hard drive (or whatever it stores its data/os on?)

I want to replace the hdd between 2 identical tablets so I know in theory it should work but i cant find any online instructions. Is it possible to do this? What do tablets store stuff on since i dont even think a small ssd can fit in there

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:51 PM

Search using how to replace tablet hdd yields lots of results.

Tell us the manufacturer and model of the tablets for more exacting help. 

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 03:39 PM

Some tablets will use a SSD, otherwise they probably have their own memory chips attached to the motherboard itself. Most likely they are soldered down to the motherboard. How much effort are you willing to put into this project, and how good are you at soldering tiny chips? Just a heads up, as the storage unit in a tablet is NOT considered 'user replaceable' by any means.

-- Matt

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,254 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:34 PM

kokomodrums...you might enjoy reading about the challenges encountered by john566 to replace a SSD drive on

a Surface Pro. It is a long read...many forum pages. Anyone try opening up their pro yet? - Page 5

Space heater...hundred tiny screws...risky at every step...

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Xirw

Xirw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:29 PM

Some tablets will use a SSD, otherwise they probably have their own memory chips attached to the motherboard itself. Most likely they are soldered down to the motherboard. How much effort are you willing to put into this project, and how good are you at soldering tiny chips? Just a heads up, as the storage unit in a tablet is NOT considered 'user replaceable' by any means.

Is it possible/easier however to switch mobos?

#6 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:52 PM

I would assume it would be much easier to remove/replace the motherboard, but I don't have any experience with opening up tablets so I couldn't say for sure how they are attached to the case. If you don't mind, why are you trying to swap storage between two tablets? Maybe there is another solution to your issue other than swapping storage/mobos.

-- Matt

#7 Xirw

Xirw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:12 PM

I would assume it would be much easier to remove/replace the motherboard, but I don't have any experience with opening up tablets so I couldn't say for sure how they are attached to the case. If you don't mind, why are you trying to swap storage between two tablets? Maybe there is another solution to your issue other than swapping storage/mobos.

Thanks for the reply. I have 2 Asus memo pad HD 7s. The first one I had the digitizer cracked so I replaced that but accident broke the LCD underneath . So instead of buying more parts and hope nothing else brakes, it would be cheaper to just buy another one. So the second one I have I rooted and everything but made the mistake of updating it because certain apps needed an update for it to work.

So of course the update didnt work, i even tried installing stock roms people had on xda but it would not receive otas. Other non stock custom roms were buggy so thats why i want to switch back to my old tablet hdd/mobo

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,254 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:47 PM

Asus MemoPad HD7 K00B ME173X Take Apart and Reassemble

▶ Asus MemoPad HD7 K00B ME173X Take Apart and Reassemble - YouTube

#9 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:39 PM

I'm also not familiar with rooting etc, I guess if you can't find someone at xda-developers to figure it out, you might as well try the motherboard swap. Good luck!

-- Matt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users