Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help recover from bad Win 7 update KB 2982791 - Lenovo G570

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 GranPaSmurf

GranPaSmurf

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:25 AM

Mod Edit:  Merged posts - Hamluis.

I have two laptop computers borked by the MS update KB 2982791.
  Asus G51V and Lenovo G570

The Lenovo will not start Windows nor Windows Safe Mode.: In startup repair I can access the command prompt window. It defaults to X: I cannot cd to any other drive. Within X: I find directories, including Windows, wherein is System32. I found and deleted the fntcache.dat.
On restart,Windows would not start, same as before.
I find several tutorials online, but they all lead me back to these steps.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by hamluis, 19 August 2014 - 11:51 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,986 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:46 AM

Hi,

- Select Repair your computer
- Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
- In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.

Using the Command Prompt type this:

bcdedit | find /i "osdevice"

This command will display output similar to : os device partition=D:. The drive letter after partition= is the drive that your Windows installation is located.
Type the following command but make sure you adjust the D: to match the returned drive from the first command.

del D:\Windows\System32\FNTCACHE.DAT

If the command above worked you will not see any error, if not please post the error.
After this Restart the computer and force windows to boot normally to see if you can access the Desktop.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 GranPaSmurf

GranPaSmurf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:56 AM

I followed your instructions to delete FNTCACHE.DAT.

when restarting I was taken back to the System Recovery program.

when retyping your instruction code, I see:

Could not find e:\Windows\System32\FNTCACHE.DAT

thanks for your help

Edited by GranPaSmurf, 21 August 2014 - 10:11 AM.

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,986 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:19 AM

Hi,

I followed your instructions to delete FNTCACHE.DAT.

when restarting I was taken back to the System Recovery program.

when retyping your instruction code, I see:

Could not find e:\Windows\System32\FNTCACHE.DAT

thanks for your help

What happens if you force the system to Boot normally instead of System Repair?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#5 GranPaSmurf

GranPaSmurf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:20 AM

same result

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,986 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 03:44 PM

same result

Did you see the BSOD error code or the computer restarted without you having the chance to see the error?

___
Rui

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:07 PM

These are the most recent instructions posted in the Microsoft Community forums topic: Blue Screen (Stop 0x50) after applying update KB2982791 to Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Kurt Phillips [MSFT] August 20, 2014

Please call Microsoft support and tell them you had a problem with our security patch - they will help you through it. Anyone else at wit's end over the mitigations posted here not working for them, please do the same thing.

We're working as hard as we can to fix this and release that fix as quickly as possible, so stay tuned for the re-release announcement soon.

Everyone else - please be aware that the reason we pulled this patch was that IF you ran into the problem specified, it's a horrible user experience. We made a fairly invasive change in font handling as part of a security patch and thought we had it tested properly, but there are definitely problems in our test coverage and design process that we need to address. We definitely have lessons to learn from this and we will.

One thing to keep in perspective here - the actual numbers we get through telemetry (clearly not exhaustive, but definitely representative) are that the failures are only happening in ~0.01% of the overall population. So, about 1 in 10000 machines are crashing. We have an obligation to fix that, and we will because we take that obligation very seriously. If you installed and haven't seen a Stop 0x50, there's no guarantee you won't see one before we fix it, but look at the odds. I think it would be irresponsible to say in the security bulletin to not uninstall due to the severity of the problem IF you hit it, but I'm not uninstalling. You need to make your own decision on that of course.

....I am not the official Microsoft spokesperson on this, just an engineer on a very busy graphics team trying to fix our problem.

Susan Bradley, MS MVP August 20, 2014

I don't work for Microsoft I'm just a volunteer here. What I want you to do is call 1-866-pcsafety. State that you have a bsod after August security kernel updates. If they give you any push back about requirement payment for support -you tell them that issues with a security patch are a free call. If they still won't help, email me at susan-at-msmvps.com (change the -at- to @) and I'll set up a free support case to get you back in operation.

Yes, they need to fix this and yes, is should be at no charge.

PA Bear, MS MVP August 20, 2014

For home users (only!), no-charge support for security updates is available by calling 1-800-MICROSOFT (1-800-642-7676) in the US or 877-568-2495 in Canada. [1]

For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary [i.e., in other regions] for support issues relating to security updates, visit the following Microsoft International Support website: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx?rdpath=4

=================================================
[1] Monday through Friday, 5:00 AM - 9:00 PM Pacific Time; Saturday and Sunday, 6:00 AM 3:00 PM Pacific Time

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 GranPaSmurf

GranPaSmurf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:59 AM

Thanks guys.

I have a sort of viseral reaction to MS commenting that only 1 in 10,000 are affected when I have two sitting on my desk. Both affected computers: the BSOD flickers for about a quarter of a second, definitly unreadable, then the recovery screen is displayed. Since both machines are several years old, it didn't occur to me to phone MS.

On the ASUS computer, I had already compromised the HD with some of my home fixit disks, so I am right now reinstalling Windows using a downloaded disk and his original key. It's in progress. it's my grandson's computer only used for gaming and he didn't have much data to lose.

On the Lenovo, my machine, I have lots of data I would like to keep. I'll phone MS and post the results.

#9 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:46 AM

It's not a very common that you have to uninstall KB's in the command line, but it can be done using wusa and pkgmgr. For the life of me I couldn't remember off the top of my head what it was called and had to do some searching. Taken from the article...

wusa /uninstall /kb:2982791

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_update/does-windows-provide-a-way-to-uninstall-security/b616c77d-609c-4ca1-b6f9-5f14b661166e

#10 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:11 AM

GranPaSmurf

Thanks for starting the discussion.  I haven't had problems with those recent Windows updates but am aware of the 'net posts and user problems with the updates.

Thanks   quietman7 and technonymous  for your information about the article and cmd line method.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,126 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:39 PM

Your welcome Scoop8.

#12 GranPaSmurf

GranPaSmurf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:04 PM

I just left the phone call to MS. After asking me to restart that machine and describe the problem she told me to reinstall Win 7.  I don't have my install disk (it's just lost, I'm embarased to sayl) also, I set up backups years ago now to find that I have no backups.

I asked her to do a search for KB 2982791. She did so and responded with what we already knew, "MS is researching this problem." She took my email address and promised they would email me when they have a resolution.

Since I have other machines working I think I will wait another couple of days if you guys don't have any better ideas.

EXCEPT...

technonymous-

since I cannot start windows to reach command prompt, is this fix good if I go to command prompt from the Windows Start-up Repair? After cd'ing to the Windows installation of course. I think I will wait for a reply before I launch into this 'fix'

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,126 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:12 PM

Did you see the BSOD error code or the computer restarted without you having the chance to see the error?

Can you answer that question for SleepyDude? The BSOD error may be something other than what has been reported and knowing that could be helpful for further suggestions from him.

#14 GranPaSmurf

GranPaSmurf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:21 PM

answered earlier:

"the BSOD flickers for about a quarter of a second, definitly unreadable, then the recovery screen is displayed.'

thanks

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,126 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:56 PM

Ok...I must have overlooked the unreadable part.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users