Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drive space diminishing and can't install anything

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kooolsam

kooolsam

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:15 AM

Hi

Recently i find my C:drive space reducing without installing any software.I use windows 8.1 OS with 3GB RAM and 160GB HDD.My C:drive allocation is about 40GB. and now the drive shows about 150MB of free space only.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:19 AM

Is this a SSD drive?

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:27 AM

I think that sadly, 40Gb is not enough for a system drive with this operating system.  My C: drive is only storing programs, Windows and some parts of the users folder (no documents, music, video, or big games etc) and I haven't got a mass of programs installed, and yet 66Gb is used..  It's crazy given that I can run a modern Linux distribution in a 10 Gb system partition with room to spare, but it's just the way it is :)

But here are a few things you can do to reduce the space taken.

1) Run Disk Clean-up in C: drive properties and clean up anything taking a lot of room, especially temporary files, temporary internet files, Recycle Bin etc.

TrLchyJ.png

2) Click Clean Up System Files (in disk clean-up) - this will allow you to clean up more things like old Windows Update files.  Again clean up anything taking up a lot of room.

VTiTZEN.png

3) Under the "More options" tab in the clean up system files dialogue, you have the option to delete System Restore and Shadow Copies.  If system restore is enabled, these hidden files are silently made in the background to allow you to roll back the system if needed.

AMpnZLQ.png

4) I think with your current partition size, I would disable system restore on that drive.  You will lose System Restore, but I think it's probably necessary unless you want to re-partition or get a larger disk.  You do this in "System Properties" which you get by right clicking the Windows logo in the bottom left corner, and choosing "System".  Then choose "System Protection".

0qF6hgD.png

5) Move the page file to a different partition.  This can be done in the "Advanced" tab in System Properties and it is under Performance settings.  With 3Gb RAM, you will need a page file, no question, but if you move it to the second partition, it will free up some space on C:

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users