Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First Time Building My Own Machine...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TheEmuRider

TheEmuRider

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 04 June 2006 - 02:45 AM

Seeing as my current system is going on 7 years (Dell P3 1ghz, GF2 64mb, etc), I figure it is time for an upgrade.

However, I am rather tight on the green, so I decided to build it myself. I would like it to run most current games so that they are playable, even if not on high settings. This would also be my everything else machine. These are the components I have selected thus far, and any input would be greatly and humbly appreciated:

NZXT TRINITY BLK Black/Silver Computer Case With Side Panel Window - Retail $80

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2000MHz HT Socket 939 Processor - Retail $186

eVGA 133-K8-NF41 Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail $80 (currently out of stock, however... any other suggestions in the same price range?)

A-DATA V-Series 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM System Memory - OEM $76

MSI NX7600GS-T2D256E Geforce 7600GS 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail $120

Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3808110AS 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM $51

SAMSUNG Black 16X DVD-ROM 52X CD-R 32X CD-RW 52X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE Combo Drive - OEM $25

I will be purchasing parts over time. A couple here, a couple there -- you know how it goes. Any other general advice would also be wonderful since this would be my first time building a computer.

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 04 June 2006 - 03:38 AM

I didn't see a power supply there. It is one of the most important parts of your system.

Make sure you get one that is sufficient for your system.

You can use the calculator tool on the following site to calculate the size of the power supply you will need.

Power Supply Calculator

http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

In addition, buying parts piecemeal over a long period of time will impact the warranty on the parts you buy. Some have very limited warranty and can be out of warranty before you even install them. It happened to me once and now when I buy parts to build a new system I buy them all at once.

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 06:59 AM

I didn't see a power supply there. It is one of the most important parts of your system.

It's included with the case. :thumbsup:

eVGA 133-K8-NF41 Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail $80 (currently out of stock, however... any other suggestions in the same price range?)

At that price, no.
The mainboard is the most critical component in the system and something I don't mind springing for more cash on.
However, the same board, same price here if you want it.
If you're going with a combo drive, might as well make it a DVD writable one. CD's don't hold much.

#4 Bazanaius

Bazanaius

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 04 June 2006 - 08:21 AM

check out www.buildyourown.org.uk

a great site with great instructions and a lively discussion forum abour parts/prices etc.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 08:54 AM

Another thing to check out are the "barebones kits" that you can get from tigerdirect.com, newegg.com and various others.

If you were planning to use the power supply that comes in an inexpensive case, I would consider the consequences of what happens when the ps fails.

That's one of the components you shouldn't economize on.

#6 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 04 June 2006 - 09:58 AM

I would spend another $20 and get a top notch DVD writer such as the NEC 3550A.

Also, for another $15 you can get a 160GB hard drive. 80GB models are on the verge of becoming obsolete. You may not know now what you will use the extra storage for, but it will be there should you change your mind.

You seem to be holding out for an SLI motherboard. Unless you plan to buy 2 identical SLI video cards this will be a waste. You would do better to get a good PCI-E motherboard.

Decisions, decisions...

Have fun.

#7 TheEmuRider

TheEmuRider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 12:44 PM

In addition, buying parts piecemeal over a long period of time will impact the warranty on the parts you buy. Some have very limited warranty and can be out of warranty before you even install them. It happened to me once and now when I buy parts to build a new system I buy them all at once.

This is true, however as I said my income is limited and if I were to try to save enough to buy it all at once, I might end up using the money on something else, dare I say, more pressing. By spacing it out, the small amounts of money from each paycheck would not impact me much, and I won't be tempted to use the larger sum of money for something else. I know it sounds like perhaps I shouldn't get a new PC if I have other things to pay for, but I also use my computer for homework and such, and this one is dying. I need a new one.

check out www.buildyourown.org.uk

a great site with great instructions and a lively discussion forum abour parts/prices etc.

Thanks! Quite helpful.

Another thing to check out are the "barebones kits" that you can get from tigerdirect.com, newegg.com and various others.

If you were planning to use the power supply that comes in an inexpensive case, I would consider the consequences of what happens when the ps fails.

As far as barebones go, they seem to not have the components I want at the price they offer. Perhaps if I am not looking in the right place you could direct me to a good one?

For the power supply, I didnt see anyone complaining too much about the included one in the review section, but would it be possible to switch out the supply later if I wanted?

I would spend another $20 and get a top notch DVD writer such as the NEC 3550A.

Also, for another $15 you can get a 160GB hard drive. 80GB models are on the verge of becoming obsolete. You may not know now what you will use the extra storage for, but it will be there should you change your mind.

You seem to be holding out for an SLI motherboard. Unless you plan to buy 2 identical SLI video cards this will be a waste. You would do better to get a good PCI-E motherboard.

Decisions, decisions...

Have fun.

To be honest I just thought I had to match up SLI with SLI. That is very helpful, I think I'll go with the ASUS! That burner is also very appealing, I'll go with that as well.

About the hard drive; I currently have a 40gig drive, so that is why I was looking at 80gigs, because that seems massive to me. Again, I think you've changed my mind.
----------------

Another question:

Some people have been telling me that floppy drives are going the way of the dinosaur, and that flash media is the new "thing." What should I look for in a flash drive?

This one looks good to me, but at the same time I have no educated opinion on the matter! I googled various flash media queries, but nothing really explained differences between 10-in-1, 12-in-1, etc.

Koutech RC1221 10-in-1 USB 2.0 Hi-Speed Card Reader/Writer - Retail $6

#8 TheEmuRider

TheEmuRider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2006 - 03:42 PM

Bump for the flash memory.

#9 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 05 June 2006 - 04:27 PM

Funny you should ask about this flash drive -- I own this very one ! It's cheap, very cheap but it comes with its own USB cable and and works very well. The LED activity lights provide good feedback. It supports more kinds of cards than I knew existed or will ever own. However, if I had a digital camera I probably feel different. For $14US you really can't go wrong. If you drop it on a hard floor from a height you may have to Superglue the plastic case back together, but I'll bet my lunch that the unit will go on working well.

BTW, flash USB drives are the more common means of "sneaker netting" files from one computer to another. The prices hav just fallen by a third (no kidding) in the last month. A USB flash drive doesn't require a reader on both computers -- just USB ports. Here's one that I own and like very much:

CORSAIR 1GB Flash Drive (USB Portable) Model CMFUSB2.0-1GB

The Corsair family of Flash drives all feature an excellent rubber case and range up in size to 4GB for a little over $100US. The 1GB is only $34US and is a real steal.

#10 TheEmuRider

TheEmuRider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2006 - 11:17 PM

Thankyou very much,

and what about all this 10-in-1 gibberish? Is that just how many different styles of cards it can read?

Also, as I was browsing through some cases I found this:
RAIDMAX Sagitta ATX-921WBP Black/Silver Computer Case With Side Panel Window - Retail

Would it be better than the NZXT Trinity? The PSU seems to be a bit better.

Edited by TheEmuRider, 05 June 2006 - 11:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users