Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remove corrupted install of Windows Live Essentials from Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 coral67

coral67

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:27 AM

Hello

please can you help me?

I run Windows 8.1 and have installed Windows Live Essentials but the install seemed corrupted as I couldn't open the program. The error said that wldlog.dll, wldcore.dll, uxctl.dll were missing. I installed them back using Dll-Files Fixer but the program still didin't work.

I then tried to uninstall Windows Live Essentials with Revo Uninstaller but it said some files are missing. I tried forced uninstall but it failed too, it said some files are missing but didn't say which ones.

If I try opening Windows Live Mail it gives an error, it cannot find an entry point to msmail.dll

I want to completely remove Windows Live Essentials so that I can try a clean re installation but I cannot manage, I think some files are either missing or corrupted and whatever I try fails.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Isabella

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:40 AM

Hi,

You could simply do a system restore to a point prior to installing Windows Live Essentials. Then try a complete fresh download and installation...

regards

:smash:

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

#3 coral67

coral67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:11 PM

Hi and thanks for replying.

I was just gonna post to say that I'd just tried a system restore, and I wish I hadn't, the computer is a mess, it says there's no network card, the characters are all huge like when you're in safe mode....I don't know what happened to be honest. With Win7 system restores were always perfect.... :killcomp:

#4 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:12 AM

Sometimes we cannot understand (at least I can't) some of the reasoning behind Microsoft's logic.

Windows Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials In previous versions of Windows, To totally different animals. The windows systems came pre-installed with Windows Defender. A user had the option od Installing Microsoft Security Essentials which in turn Disabled Windows Defender.
Along comes Windows 8 and Microsoft includes for the first time a total security suite and names it Windows Defender again. Windows defender in Windows 8 is the equivalent of Microsoft Security Essentials for previous versions of Windows. Microsoft Security Essentials Cannot Run on the Windows 8 platform. I had a customer who did the same thing as you and we ended up backing up all their important data and reinstalling Windows 8.

Try to undo the system restore you perfotmed, one by one try the following...

I see that Microsoft has a fix-it to aid in uninstalling MSE if you can't remove it from Programs but I'm not sure if it works for Windows 8.

Here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2483120

They also offer a stubborn program removal tool whether or not it works I can't be sure, but looks promising.

Here: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/program_install_and_uninstall

Much information can be found here along with some manual removal instructions. From what I read the manual uninstall steps did the trick.

Here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/mse-protect_start/cant-uninstall-microsoft-security-essentials-from/9f2f8d62-0017-4ff7-b483-8c6034ef77e2

I'd try 'em all rather than having to wipe and reload.

#5 coral67

coral67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:27 PM

Microsoft Security Essentials Cannot Run on the Windows 8 platform.

Hi and thanks for posting.

I didn't install Microsoft Security Essentials, I installed Windows Live Essentials (Photo Gallery, Movie Maker, Live Writer, Live Mail, One Drive).

The system restore did in fact uninstall WLE along with all the other programs, which I was expecting so I wasn't surprised. However the system restore didn't provide me with a choice of restore points, it asked for the Windows 8.1 CD as it said some files were missing, so I inserted it.

After the system restore the machine didn't recognize the network card, and all the images were fuzzy and the characters huge like when you are in safe mode.

Given that I've only just bought this machine (approx 10 days ago), I brought it back to the shop for a techie to fix it and asked him to give me back the computer the way it was when I bought it....he said what happened is strange behaviour and he'll look into it, and hopefully fix it. The computer is still under warranty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users