Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remove Modern apps user account in Windows 8

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jhona56

jhona56

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:12 AM

Hi I was given these instructions from another forum to show me how to remove unwanted apps from my computer. Problem seems to stem from the fact that I am unable to replicate a certain "caret" into the command, for example: "Get-AppXPackage -User <username> |  Remove-AppxPackage". I highlighted the caret in red that I mean. It says to open Powershell and at then "Type the following command to remove all Modern apps from the system account", but I tried this but because I cannot put in the " | " in the command it only opens another command beginning, for instance:

PS C:\Windows\system32>

Please help, how do I get this to work, there are tons of apps pre-installed on this windows 8 that I simply do not use, I do not have a disk, it came with windows 8 pre-installed.

thanks for any help with this

jhona56

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:31 AM

Hi,

Think this is what you are after...http://www.pcworld.com/article/2148482/new-app-automates-the-process-of-dumping-windows-8-metro-bloatware.html

Regards,

:smash:

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

#3 jhona56

jhona56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:24 PM

I love it when someone makes my life a bit easier! 

Thank you so much, there are just too many of them and I find most useless.

Have a great evening! :bounce:

#4 jhona56

jhona56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:53 PM

Hi, sorry jumped the bit I'm afraid. win 8 confuses the heck out of me, there are just too many files assoc with supposed other people and there is only me and I have tried to not have admin account, user account, my name account because we are all one in the same. I did what you suggested yet under C:\Program Files\Windows Apps there is a huge list of what I thought I would rid myself of with the above program, all the apps are there. I can't see where to post the image today like i did the other day, from my pc, not from a url. but in another section of windows under Packages (can't find the correct place again, cause this computer is  exhausting me, I also have a screen shot of the same app titles on empty folders! I loved my win xp, why did they have to create this monster?

I would post the screen shots but I can't seem to locate any "add attachment" or upload, only an image button to an image on a url.

Can I at least get rid of all the games easily enough because it is in my add/remove folder? that would be a nice start. sorry for sounding like such a novice, since I'm not one, it is just this win 8 that I have had for months keeps giving me surprises!

Help please :)

sincerely, jhona

#5 jhona56

jhona56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:00 AM

I am sorry to report that I wished that I never used that program to remove windows 8 metro or modern apps, I was very careful not to delete anything that I might actually need, but it totally messed up my computer. I had to go to system restore and go back as far as the 18th to get it to respond, and now everything is messed up. lost a lot of security updates that it now refuses to reinstall, free pre-installed media programs, and I have no disk. classical start menu used to work fine, now it won't, program after program fails. I fear I will have to save what I can an go to factory re-install, I don't know what else to do. I do back up constantly on my passport but not every single program.. Anyone have any suggestions as a possible remedy, oh and of course the apps are back.

so depressed

jhona

#6 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:42 PM

As best as I know, all Windows 8 and 8.1 computers have recovery options, one that keeps your data and should fix problems, or the more popular OEM restore, which brings your machine back to the day you bought it, so you'd have to save all your data first and naturally, you'd have to reinstall all your programs and apps,  but on the other hand, you'd have a perfectly functioning system again.

There comes a time when an OS is so messed up, that it's almost impossible to bring it back to normality, and even if it is possible, it may not be worth the time it takes to fix it.

I don't know how bad your machine is and I'm only reminding you that there are other options.

I'm certainly not suggesting that you restore your system in the ways I mentioned, as I have no idea what is truly going on with your machine, and for all I know, there may be a small easy solution to your problem.

All is well in Paradise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users