Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No display/ 1 long 3 short bleep. Don't know what to do!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 HyperCraggles

HyperCraggles

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:43 AM

Ok, so I'm building a PC of course and its currently external and I have everything supposedly required hooked up. But, when I turn it on, all fans run (the CPU stock fan runs for a bit, then pauses, then runs again) and then I get the 1 long, 3 short bleep and no display on the monitor. I have tried using a single RAM card in various places and have switched the GPU around to the other PCI Express slots. I'm hoping that its not a compatibility issue with the graphics card or the CPU has been munted because its now firmly concreted in place with thermal paste that was on the stock CPU fan. I have browsed the manual and there is nothing in the troubleshooting section about the bleeps I heard. I have a:

Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P motherboard, 

Kingston Hyper X Blu 8 GB (2x4GB Modules) 1600MHz DDR3 memory,

AMD FD8320FRHKBOX FX-8320 FX-Series 8-Core Black Edition 

and here's where I think it gets a little sketchy, HIS R9 280 IceQ OC 3GB Graphics Cards H280QC3G2M and a PSU I bought from one of my mates which is a case stock PSU for an Aywun A1-923 ATX case 500 Watt, but according to PCPartPicker my build is under 450 Watts.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated  :lol:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:53 AM

On Award BIOS's I believe that beep code is a graphics card error.  On an AMI BIOS it indicates "conventional/extended memory failure".  The video card I think needs a 6 pin and an 8 pin PCIe connector.  Have you connected both?  Also have you reset the CMOS using the CLR_CMOS jumper?

Yes the PSU sounds dodgy.  For hardware of that level, I really would not recommend using it with a cheap PSU bundled with a generic case.  I've used those cases with included PSU in the past where it was made clear to me that the system being cheap was the number one priority.  These were low spec systems with integrated graphics or low end graphics cards.  To be fair, as far as I know they held up OK on that sort of build.  Those parts you have there really deserve a good power supply.

It's got 500w written on it but is it really capable of 500w?  And even if it is, is it able to supply most of that at 12v which is what modern systems demand?  Here are some real tests of cheap power supplies that do not get anywhere near their claimed ratings -

CaseGears Black Steel 580w

AcePower 550w

Hercules 500w (this one is a real piece of work..)

These are examples of cheap PSU's that are either outright dangerous junk in the Hercules case, or massively overrated low wattage units with mostly low quality parts.  You get what you pay for.  That said you don't have to spend a fortune either.

If your system has a max power draw of approx 450w, it is not the best thing to do to get a 450w PSU.  Yes a good 450w PSU will run the system, but it always best to allow a certain amount of headroom, as PSU's operate at their highest efficiency close to the middle of their output range.  Running on the edge is asking for trouble.  So if 450w is needed, I would be looking at 650w+ PSU's. 

Edited by jonuk76, 19 August 2014 - 07:54 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 HyperCraggles

HyperCraggles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:57 AM

Well, the current dodgy PSU only has a 6 pin connector available for the gpu and no 8 pin, so I was thinking that could be causing it. What PSU would you reccommend that would have both a 6 and an 8 pin connector? I was looking at getting a Corsair 600 watt CX600M which seemed sufficient enough and has fairly neat ratings.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:06 AM

I'd say only having one PCIe connector hooked up is the probable cause of the problem with it not POSTing.

The CX600M is a decent enough budget PSU and it should run the system with room to spare.  Assuming you're in the US, for the same price at the moment (after rebate) I think this Rosewill Capstone 750 is a higher quality and higher capacity unit (review here)  but it gives up the modular cables of the Corsair CX600M.  Personally at that price I'd go for the Capstone, but up to you.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users