Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Going to build my own computer, will all of these parts work together?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 matttexas17

matttexas17

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:14 AM

Hey guys, going to build a computer (fun project) and I need to know will all of these parts work together, and could you catch a stupid mistake i make before i spend 500 bucks? thank you guys so much! this is a huge favor! 

Here is what Im getting:

Graphics Card:
Geforce 650

Harddrive:

Unknown, using a standard 500gb one i already have. if this is an issue to not know what type, let me know please

Case: 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147153

Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, option Fans-2x Side 120mm Fan

Power Supply:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153165

Thermaltake TR2 TR-500 500W ATX12V v2.3 SLI CrossFire Power Supply

Motherboard:

ASUS Z97-A LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132118

CPU:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117372

Intel Core i5-4690K Haswell Quad-Core 3.5GHz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor BX80646I54690K

Ram: 

Two 4gb ram sticks i got from Best Buy 

Any other info that you guys would need from me, Im happy to give, and thank you guys so much for helping! I just want to make sure that all of the above things should work together (IE im buying the wrong processor for the motherboard.) 

Edited by hamluis, 19 August 2014 - 12:06 PM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to System Building - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:25 AM

That Rosewill Challenger case is a decent case, I have one of these and the wiring management is not that great, There's no USB 3 ports either. I suggest the you check out the NZXT Source 210 or 220 elite cases, they cost about the same and offer better options, like USB 3 ports and wiring management. Also get a better name brand power supply, this is one of the items that you do not want to skimp on.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007657%20%2050001697%20%2050041988%20%2050001516%2050001459%2050001402%2050001919%2050002031&IsNodeId=1

Antec, Corsair and Seasonic are some of the most reliable brand names for power supplies

Your motherboard and cpu are compatible with each other so there shouldn't be any issues with that

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:30 AM

Run far far away from that Thermaltake PSU.  If you have a $20 budget for a PSU, grab a CX430 that usually ends up at the $20 mark after rebates.  And it does have more output where it counts (12V+).  I have sold a lot of CX 430s over the years, and not a single return yet.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 Zerue

Zerue

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:45 AM

I agree with the CX430 recommendation. Not only that it came from Corsair, a very reputable manufacturer, it also has an 80 Plus bronze certification.

And trust me, you don't want to skimp out on the PSU unless you are expecting fireworks inside your computer.

As for the case you might want to invest a little more on this as well. Rosewill challengers are made of cheap plastic and thin metal (which makes it flimsy), has no USB 3.0 support, has little to no room for cable management.

NZXT Source 210 - take note that the PSU is placed on the other side of the case, it has no support for USB 3.0, no fan filters, has no sound dampening solution, and no hard drive base, has little room for cable management as well.

If I were you, I would take the Corsair 200r - excellent cable management, SSD support, removable HD cage, support for 12" video cards, and generally sleeker look.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139018&cm_re=200r-_-11-139-018-_-Product

Edited by Zerue, 19 August 2014 - 11:03 AM.

If I am helping you but failed to reply within 24 hours, send me a PM.

------------------------------------

Please read these guides:

Before you post a problem

Provide system specifications

Advice on building your system

#5 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:34 PM

The Corsair 200r is also a very nice case.

Please do not confuse the NZXT Source 210 ELITE with USB 3.0 and the Source 210 without the USB 3.0. I've built with several of these cases, No issues with the cable management.

There are literally 100's of different case brands and styles Most peeps choose for there own personal preferences. The Corsair CX 430's are not always perfect either, out of the last two dozen I've used for builds I've had two come back as DOA after a few months. They are good power supplies but they are still Economy power supplies

Edited by Joe C, 19 August 2014 - 01:35 PM.

#6 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:52 PM

You didn't mention the DDR version of the RAM (like DDR2, DDR3, etc). They are not backwards compatible (or forwards compatible...or sideways compatible...).

Also, and this is a long shot, if the hard drive is PATA you're out of luck, as that motherboard doesn't have a PATA port (and really, who is still using PATA drives?). You mentioned it was a 'standard' drive, and almost all hard drives made in the last, I don't know, 5+ years, are SATA.

-- Matt

#7 Zerue

Zerue

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:58 PM

I'm sorry for misunderstanding, i thought you meant the Source 210 (without elite) and the Source 220 Elite. 

As for the power supply, I admit there are times that CX430 will be DOA. However this is true other parts and brands as well.

Like dpunisher have said...

I have sold a lot of CX 430s over the years, and not a single return yet.

The reason I recommended the CX430s is for their 80 Plus certification. This just proves that these ,for the very least, has undergone some test before being distributed. Whenever I pick or recommend a PSU i make sure that they have at least an 80 plus Bronze. 

#8 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:50 AM

Well, Newegg has CX430s on sale again......

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL081914&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL081914-_-EMC-081914-Index-_-PowerSupplies-_-17139026-L0I

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#9 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:13 PM

The CX 430's are great economy psu. You get what you pay for which means they have Samxcon capacitors. So I wouldn't consider one of these for the long haul because just about every economy psu will have corners cut somewhere. If you plan to keep your personal build for more than a couple years then you'll have to cough up some more in order to get better quality parts.

There's nothing wrong with the CX 430's because I used a lot of them too....just don't forget what they are

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=214

Edited by Joe C, 20 August 2014 - 06:13 PM.

#10 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:57 PM

The review linked above is to an old model as it was not 80+ certified at all.  The current models are 80+ Bronze certified, and that is a good thing - it means it has been proven to deliver it's rated power at a certain level of efficiency.  At the end of the day, there is always an element of "getting what you pay for" and with a CX430 available sometimes for as little as $20 after rebates, it's not going to have the same component quality as something that costs 3 x as much.  However you could certainly do a lot worse.  It is safe, delivers it's rated wattage, and comes with a 3 year warranty.   I posted some links recently to reviews of PSU's that were either outright dangerous fire hazards or merely mis-described (cheap 200w or 250w PSU's masquerading as 500w PSU's).  Some of the stuff that is sold on eBay and elsewhere is truly garbage.

Edited by jonuk76, 20 August 2014 - 08:57 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#11 Zerue

Zerue

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:07 PM

I wouldn't go as far as calling them "economy" PSUs, but meh, that's your opinion.

CXs are good, safe and a lot of performance builders still use this particular series. Their main difference with the higher tier ones is the their efficiency. Sure they have no other features (which I personally think you wont need anyway) and have lower quality than something that cost like twice as much, but that doesn't mean they would break out just like *snap* that. This will even last until your next upgrade... Might even be longer.

Edited by Zerue, 20 August 2014 - 09:08 PM.

#12 TallPaul7

TallPaul7

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 05:11 PM

just bought a new CX430 for $15 and the quality is good for what you pay. You get what you pay for though. I learned to always open a PSU and check for defects right out of the box. It's better to void a warranty on a $15 PSU than have it fry your mobo and everything attached to it. It's full of Samxons and there is no heat sink on the bridge rectifier. Samxons will probably last until the warranty expires so those will be swapped. a heat sink on the rectifier has to be done immediately. that might be a reason these units fail 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users