Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I test my Router for CRC Errors?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JohnMcD348

JohnMcD348

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:30 PM

Hello

I have a Motorola SBG6580 router that was supplied by my Internet provider Brighthouse(time Warner) and I am beginning to suspect it may be the cause of my problems.  For the past few months, I've been having issues downloading programs and such.  Many times, most of the time, when I go to install a program or app, it ends with an CRC Error in the file.  It began to show itself with issues updating Norton Anti-virus but shows up when trying to download and install other items.  I just figured it to be an issues with pretty much every item that is linked to the internet through this router.  My PC, my Other PC(Both plugged into the router).  Every computer that is linked via the WiFi also seems to have issues including my son's WiiU.  It continues to fail in updating.

Is there a way foe me to run a diagnostic on this router to test and see if it truly may be the cause of the download issues?

Thanks You.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:38 AM

I would contact Bright house and have them test the lines into the house. From my research bad connections or improperly split coax lines (the main feed should NOT be split prior to the modem) were the issue. One solution given was to bridge the modem and use a separate router, this is only a bandaid however and doesn't resolve the issue only bypasses it.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 JohnMcD348

JohnMcD348
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:41 AM

OK.  I'll give them another chance to look it over or replce it.  They had someone check the lines remotely and said everything was OK.  The service tech that came out really didn't fill me with confidence.  I'd been thinking it was actually my computer causing the issues until I plugged in a very old desktop that I hardly ever use and began getting the same issues.  That made me start looking at other devices and seeing it in them also.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,782 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:08 PM

Another way to test is put a modem without built in router in place and connect directly to the modem. Then access the modem stats page that way and get all your modem stats for a baseline.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 JohnMcD348

JohnMcD348
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 05:48 PM

Update.

So after a few months of the Tech people looking at things and telling me everything was right, I actually called, instead of Chatted and online serviced, their tech people and was told that my hardware was wrong.  Brighthouse had increased my service to 150mb speeds and not changed my router.  I needed a new router to get the speeds I was supposed to be getting.  They came in today and replaced the router with a newer dual band unit and all my troubles have gone away.  It took me this long to get it replaced since I am never off and home during their regular business hours.  While the wife was off for Christmas break, I had her call to have someone come out to look at it and was told by the Tech person there about the issue.

I took less than 10 minutes of actually talking to someone on the phone instead of supposedly online chatting with tech support who was telling me they were remote checking their equipment and all was fine.

I wish I'd figured it out before I wiped out my system, thinking there may have been a virus or some type of hardware issues......

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,782 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2015 - 07:05 PM

Thank you for letting us know. Sorry to hear it was such a painful experience to get it resolved.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#7 JohnMcD348

JohnMcD348
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2015 - 08:11 PM

Any idea why the router  and network speed differences could have been the cause?  I would kinda understand that the speed differences would have caused problems way back in the days when I was trying to communicate with 600baud network with my 2400baud modem or vice versus.

I would think the today's technology wold have allowed the slower speed router to correct and accept the packets that were being delivered, or at least sending the signal from the provider to slow it down while they were sending it.  Aren't those kind of handshakes supposed to be fully automated?

Just more curious now since I'm not very fluent with the technical side of things these days.  My major tech knowledge only really goes back to the days of the 286.....  I didn't keep up too well after that.

Thanks

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,782 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2015 - 10:30 PM

Without knowing a lot of hardware specifics. My guess is that the hardware and firmware of the older setup had a bandwidth capacity threshold.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#9 JohnMcD348

JohnMcD348
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 01:01 PM

It was just one of the Run of the Mill Motorola DOCSIS 3* routers.  I had the model number written down somewhere but can't find it now.  I was going to look it up online to see if there were any known issues with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users