Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC won't boot after Norton Internet Security restart?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 beto85

beto85

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:56 PM

Hello,

I have an HP desktop PC model # a6220n with Windows Vista Home Premium, Service Pack 2, Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, and 2 GB RAM.

My Norton Antivirus had expired a few months ago and just a few days ago I got to renewing but this time I bought Norton Internet Security on Amazon.com for 3 PCs. When I installed Norton Internet Security it prompted me to restart to complete the installation so I did. When it finished installing, it showed it was working on some threats on the bottom right taskbar and when it finished the window of threats detected showed about 7-8 viruses and they all had to be removed manually, except for one, the most recent of that day (yesterday). The viruses date back to April of this year but the one that seemed like Norton would remove showed a restart was required to complete the removal of that threat. After I clicked restart the PC seems to load but I never get to the user sign in screen and instead there's a black screen with just the cursor. I turned off the PC by holding down the power button and then restarted it. This time a black screen showing the message "Windows did not shut down successfully. If this was due to the system not responding, or if the system was shut down to protect data, you might be able to recover by choosing one of the Safe Mode configurations from the menu below : Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, or Start Windows Normally.

I tried each of those options and the same thing happens: I get to the black screen with the cursor. I'm wondering if I should just reformat to factory settings or if there is a way to recover the PC. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 beto85

beto85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:36 PM

Anyone?

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:22 PM

Hello beto -

2 items are generally important with your question >>

I'm wondering if I should just reformat to factory settings or if there is a way to recover the PC.

First, do you have the media (DVDs etc) to reinstall your computer ??

Second, do you have very important documents that you wish to save first ??

Thank You -

#4 beto85

beto85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:28 PM

Hello beto -

2 items are generally important with your question >>

I'm wondering if I should just reformat to factory settings or if there is a way to recover the PC.

First, do you have the media (DVDs etc) to reinstall your computer ??

Second, do you have very important documents that you wish to save first ??

Thank You -

Hello noknojon, thanks for responding.

I actually don't have any documents to save because I did a save of all the documents just before this happened so that's ok. The PC is a desktop HP and in my experience they haven't been including any reinstallation DVDs for the last couple of PCs from HP I have owned, but there is a partition hard drive I believe where all the necessary files are stored and I should be able to do a reformat by going into one of the menus on the startup HP screen. I think it may be F10 or some other key to begin that process. But I would really like to know what caused this, because before I even installed Norton Internet Security the PC was working fine, now there may have been some viruses or other threats but nothing like this ever happened so I'm curious if there's possibly something wrong with the Norton program that caused this to happen. The PC doesn't load after I'm supposed to restart it to remove a threat? I'm using my Sony laptop right now and I have another laptop that need protection but now I'm wondering if I should even go through with Norton Internet Security if it may cause something big like this.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:45 PM

Hi -

I picked this topic up yesterday and then got "side-tracked" with other works ......

If you feel secure with what you are doing, please take that action, and see if your paid Norton reinstalls.

Back to you, and always post to Vista area of the forum for general help -

Regards -

Edited by noknojon, 21 August 2014 - 07:46 PM.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:10 PM

Hi -

I did a reinstall of my Toshiba Windows 7 laptop a while back, and I was not 100% sure of the partition.

So I called the state Toshiba base, and they provided me with a set of Re-install DVDs for about $50 home delivered.

You can try HP, but I am not sure if they keep Vista Re-installs these days.

So again, it is your choice to reinstall, or even Update to Windows 7 now.

Thanks -

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:09 PM

Hi beto -

Have you reinstalled / updated / or do you still require a bit of help ??

Thank You -

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:56 PM

Hello -

As you first posted this over 10 days ago and I replied to it, you have not replied back since then.

If you wish for more help please copy and paste the link below in a new topic

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/544904/pc-wont-boot-after-norton-internet-security-restart/#entry3452180

Thank You -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users