Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just installed Windows 7.. should i partition drive?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ArthBrah

ArthBrah

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:26 PM

Just installed windows 7.

while i have pretty much nothing on my computer i am thinking about partitioning my drive so all my music/movie files have their own place and if something goes wrong with HD they will be safe. 

what you guys think about partitioning your hd is it a good thing to do? and do you know off a good tutorial on how to do it? i have never done it before.

thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:39 PM

Well, if you are going to partition the drive, it's best to do it on a fresh system because you should always back up your important file before you do it. I would recommend using the bootable version of Partition Wizard. Burn the iso and boot the disk. You would resize the existing Windows partition then create another partition in the unallocated space. For resizing just grab the right arrow of the Windows partition and drag it to the left until you have the required space for your data files.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:05 AM

IMO...partitions are created to give more order to a hard drive, particularly now that hard drives are so enormous in terms of capacity.  As long as hard drives were small (less than 50GB), it did not really matter if everything was stored on one partition...disk maintenance was easy enough, did not consume extensive time, and it was pretty easy to keep good order on a small hard drive.  At that time, backups were generally stored on external media and not stored on a hard drive.

With the advent of larger capacities...video files being stored/saved...more knowledgeable users with diverse interests...storage capacities developed became used more by those owning/using computer systems.  Types of files and sizes of those files stored...increased for many users.  Partitions became a convenient mechanism for isolating a particular type of file...for easy access order.

Partitioning a hard drive will not necessarily result in the ability to access data on another partition...if the drive is defective/failing.  But it might provide a very thin chance of such, if one assumes that damage/defect is restricted to a given area.  IMO, this has not been proven to be the case for many hard drive failures.  IMO, a better approach would be multiple drives where, logically, a disaster on one drive has no impact on a different drive.

I have a 2TB and a 3TB drive on this system, with multiple partitions on each for storing everything from videos to backups.  I have my O/Ses (dual-boot) and programs installed on a totally separate SSD.  I've never liked the idea of having everything on one drive...but, when I did, I created partitions just so that I could maintain some order and not have hunt for a given group or type of file.

Louis

#4 Libyan expert

Libyan expert

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:30 AM

sure u can do partition for hd event if u had to format the os u will not losse u're photos..etc

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:06 PM

My data is stored on external USB drives, I leave them unplugged in but switched off when not in use.  Leaving them on all the time to me is foolish, if the system gets hit with a bug good chance it will hit both drives.  I save data on the main drive until the folder gets fairly full, I scan the folder first then drag it onto the enclosures drive.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users