Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just Question Re Wallpapers, Please ...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 04 June 2006 - 12:48 AM

I read it was rude to ask a question in another person's posting, so didn't want to intrude --- but I after reading the previous posting and the replies with great links leading to wallpapers for downloading, may I ask a question, please.

Is it possible to pick up a 'bug' when one is downloading a wallpaper - and if so, should I first download it to a file and then run AVG etc prior to actually installing it?

Thanks once again,
Mara
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 04 June 2006 - 02:32 AM

AVG should be checking as you download.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 04 June 2006 - 11:25 AM

Always, scan anything you download!
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 04 June 2006 - 11:30 AM

And read the installation instructions before installing. Sometimes those notes say they are going to install spyware.

#5 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 04 June 2006 - 12:21 PM

Thanks to you both Cowsgonemadd and Tg1911, I really do appreciate your advise!

Although I've got AVG up and running, didn't even know it scanned things while in the process of downloading (duh to me!) - but even so, think I'll not only read the 'notes' carefully, but be twice as safe and plop the screensavers into a separate file and then run the other anti-virus programs on it as well, prior to installing.

Thank you both for your kindness and help in responding to my question!

Kind thoughts,
Mara
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 04 June 2006 - 12:34 PM

You're quite welcome, Mara.
Glad to be of help.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users