Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lenovo or Asus?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 baymerlou

baymerlou

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:03 PM

I currently have an Asus laptop specs

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

ASUS Notebook

UL50VT/UL50Vg Series

Intel CPU U7300 @ 1.30GHz 1.30 GHz

4.00 GB Ram

64 Bit OS

Windows 7 Home Premium

I bought this in 2010 and am noticing intermittent noises like a bearing going and my hard drive is showing some bad sectors resulting in certain applications not installing or uninstalling properly.   I am due for a new system anyway.  

Until now I've never had issues with this laptop and it performed very well for what I needed and I was wanting to stay with the same manufacturer.  I contacted the person I bought this from and was told that Asus quality has taken a downturn and they don't deal with Asus anymore.   She said they had a lot of warranty work come back in on the latest Asus laptops and only deal with Lenovo now.  

I don't know too much about the comparisons and would love to have some feedback here as to the two systems.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,742 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:43 PM

Have not heard the bad about Asus always considered them quite decent, Lenovo from most all accounts is on the same plane as Asus.  That being said have you considered up grading what you have now?  Bumping the memory up and installing an SSD HD would sure put some zap into it. I just put an SSD in my Toshiba LT and could not be happier.

Phil

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:32 AM

Have you backed up your data?  A failing hard drive is not something you ignore.

Like OldPhil I haven't heard any thing bad about Asus computers.  My wife has one, about a year old, and loves it.

That said, every manufacturer has issues at one time or another with their machines.  The person you bought this from may have had to deal with a bad model or batch of machines.  If it is covered under warranty then you're out a computer for a little while while it is repaired, not out entirely.

As OldPhil suggested a little money into your current machine will put more life in it.  In addition to the solid state drive I'd recommend taking the RAM to 8GB if possible.  You can check Crucial to see how much memory your machine can have.  If you run their scanner it will also show what you have installed, by slot.  Those two upgrades will make you think you've got a brand new machine.

#4 baymerlou

baymerlou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:58 AM

Thanks for your excellent answers, much appreciated.

I would hate to be without my computer for any amount of time.   Yes, I have an external 1T Seagate HD that I backup everything to.   I do notice I am running out of room on my internal HD even with the backups.  Stuff is just getting bigger and bigger, hard to believe we used to be able to exist on just a 20MB HD (back in the day).  LOL  

Thanks for the suggestions on upgrading, I was under the impression that this laptop was not upgradable as far as RAM, but a larger HD would be awesome.   As for the noises this machine is making I'm worried that it will suddenly stop on me one day.    I wouldn't mind a second computer anyway, I used to have a desktop that all it needs is a new power supply but just haven't gotten around to getting that fixed.   Hmmmm maybe I'll take it in to get fixed and then send my laptop in to be upgraded/fixed, then I won't be without at all.

#5 baymerlou

baymerlou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:14 AM

I ran Crucial and it shows that my RAM is at it's maximum of 4GB, 2 slots of 2 GB each. 

#6 masterthemachines

masterthemachines

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:37 AM

Hello there,

If you decide to upgrade your laptop to a SSD drive then i would recommend: http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/memory-storage/MZ-7TE250BW

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,742 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:49 AM

I ran Crucial and it shows that my RAM is at it's maximum of 4GB, 2 slots of 2 GB each. 

Judgement call on the upgrade, do a little poking around about SSD even without the ram the SSD alone will surprise you.  I also recommend Samsung, I did several weeks of reading reports and tests.  I ended up with the Samsung 256 Pro it is a little higer rated then the 250, both are excellent and will out last a spinner any day.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:44 PM

I'm not as happy with my Samsung SSD as I was with my Intel drives.  I've already had to reload once due to Windows not starting due to corrupted boot files that were unable to be fixed with the Windows Startup repair.  I never had this issue with the Intel drives.  Your mileage may vary.  I'll see how it goes, but reloading my system is not one of my favorite tasks.  No data loss as my data is stored on other drives.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users