Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Laptop Should I Get (ASUS N550JK or HP Envy Slim Quad)?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JamaicanBambi

JamaicanBambi

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:47 PM

There are two laptops I'm trying to decide between. The ASUS N550-JK and the HP Envy 15t Slim Quad. Here's a quick comparison and links to where I'd get them: 

Both have intel i7 Quad Core 4th gen processors 
Both have a full HD display 
Both have 8gb of RAM (upgradable to 16gb) 
Both have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850m graphics card 
Both have a silver Aluminum Body 

Here are some differences: 

HP Envy 15t Slim Quad 
http://store.hp.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/PDPStdView?catalogId=10051&urlLangId=-1&langId=-1&productId=578155&storeId=10151 

$899 (but a current $70 off offer makes it $829)
4gb dedicated graphics RAM 
No optical drive (not too important) 
No touch screen (not a deal breaker) 
750gb 5400 hard drive (I would upgrade) 

ASUS N550-JK 
http://www.amazon.com/N550JK-DS71T-Full-HD-Touchscreen-Laptop-Aluminum-Body/dp/B00IAA5BSS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408389691&sr=8-1&keywords=n550jk#productDetails 

$1079 
2gb dedicated graphics RAM 
DVD+RW Optical Drive 
Touch Screen 
1tb 5400 hard drive (I would upgrade) 

Any input would be appreciated, including other good computers of similar or better specs for the price.  Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The Pugilist

The Pugilist

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:01 PM

JamacianBambi,

Personally I'd recommend the ASUS over the HP.  In my experience doing computer repair, I've found that in terms of consumer-level laptops, ASUS has HP beat in pretty much every regard.  In my experience ASUS generally has, better support, better warranties, better hardware quality, better cooling (very important with laptops like these), and a cleaner installation of windows (not a huge deal).  

Aside from being more expensive, I think that the ASUS is in general a higher-quality machine. 

Then again, that's just my .02 :)

//Dave

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:41 AM

What will you be doing on the computer?

What operating system will you be using?

If you're gaming the HP.  If you're not the Asus would be better with Windows 8.

I wouldn't bother updating the hard drive on the HP unless you must have an additional 250GB, unless you're talking about going with a solid state drive.  The money would be better spent towards external storage.

My only concern would be, is the Asus $200 better?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users