Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet continually disconnecting.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ZAKK

ZAKK

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:04 PM

Hi there.

I have always had a terrible internet, but it worked fine for what I do.

I have been with AOL for years, and their service has been pretty horrible, but as I say.. it's got me by.

Though, recently I randomly started disconnecting out of the blue.

I contacted AOL about this, and was told I had a faulty router (presumably because I was using my own, and not their own products).  They sent me out a new router.  I tried this router.. low and behold, it didn't work.  I contacted AOL again who told me that the router I received was faulty also.  So, they sent me another one..

Now, this router does connect to the internet and I can browse fine (all be it extremely slow like previously).  However, I am still disconnecting.

I primarily play an online game when I am on the computer, and out of nowhere I have been instantaneously disconnecting recently.  My network icon at bottom right of desktop eventually switches to Connected - No Internet access.  At this point I have tried typing  something into chrome, there is a box at the bottom left of the browser that says "Resolving host..."

This has gone on a few weeks, and I have now decided to move to BT Broadband.  The services they promise to provide is a huge step up, but as is the price.  This seemed like a good choice at first, but now I'm worrying in case this problem is something of my own, and not AOL, and that this may still continue even when I have BT Broadband.

There's literally nothing I can think of that has changed between my internet being fine, to driving me to the edge of insanity.  It just randomly started disconnecting one day, and has continued since.

I am by no means a technical person, so anyone trying to help me (hopefully!) may have to spell things out for me.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Edited by hamluis, 21 August 2014 - 06:58 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:19 PM

BT Broadband should send out a technician to set up your broadband. Just make sure everything is good before he leaves. BT Broadband will provide their Modem or Gateway. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

#3 ZAKK

ZAKK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:53 PM

BT Broadband should send out a technician to set up your broadband. Just make sure everything is good before he leaves. BT Broadband will provide their Modem or Gateway. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Fingers crossed.

I have an install date for my BT broadband now, sadly it's the last day of my holiday! (the 5th September)

It can't be any worse than what AOL are providing right now.  That's enough to keep me going for now.

Thanks John.

#4 ZAKK

ZAKK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:22 PM

Going to bump this.

It may be fixed when I get my new internet, but could anyone try help me fix the issue I'm currently experiencing.  It's extremely frustrating.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 03:07 PM

Try changing your DNS server on the computer. See the steps shown here.

#6 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 03:15 PM

I agree with the DNS change, it could be that your ISP's DNS servers are flaky/slow/unreliable. Other than that, it could be an issue with the wiring in your house, which isn't easy to diagnose without the proper tools/knowledge.

-- Matt

#7 ZAKK

ZAKK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:55 AM

My full internet is disconnecting, is the link you provided only to fix the "resolving host" issue on chrome?

Or could the DNS be affecting my whole internet?

#8 ZAKK

ZAKK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:04 PM

I tried changing the DNS settings to google.

I'm still getting the disconnections and resolving host message on google chrome.

I don't think the wiring is faulty either, because I've been using the internet for many years without any issues.  Nothing has changed either, it just randomly started happening a couple weeks ago.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:11 PM

This may very well be a fault with AOL. Was the router AOL supplied also a modem? Did AOL do anything after they supplied you with the new router and you still got disconnects? They should have sent a technician out to your place to find the problem. Hopefully BT Broadband will fix the problem.

#10 ZAKK

ZAKK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:20 PM

This may very well be a fault with AOL. Was the router AOL supplied also a modem? Did AOL do anything after they supplied you with the new router and you still got disconnects? They should have sent a technician out to your place to find the problem. Hopefully BT Broadband will fix the problem.

It started happening out of the blue.  My internet had been fine since.  I phoned AOL to ask them why it was happening.  A long time ago I bought my own router because the router AOL issued wasn't very good.  I phoned AOL and they told me my router was faulty and they sent a new one.  That one didn't work at all, and they sent out a new one.  I had problems setting it up, and had to pay for several phone calls just to get it set up.  After all that, i'm still having the same issue I had in the first place.  That's why I'm moving to BT.  AOL is absolutely dreadful and their CS is really bad.

I hope moving to BT fixes it, but it's going to be a pain to put up with this until the 5th.

Edited by ZAKK, 21 August 2014 - 04:21 PM.

#11 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:37 PM

Please download Junkware Removal Tool and save it on your desktop.

• Shut down your anti-virus, anti-spyware, and firewall software now to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, right-click it and select Run as administrator.
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Please attach the JRT log.

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.

• Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Scan button.
  • When the scan has finished click on Clean button.
  • Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.
  • Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.

Please download MINITOOLBOX and run it.

Checkmark following boxes:

Flush DNS
Reset FF proxy Settings
Reset Ie Proxy Settings
Report IE Proxy Settings
Report FF Proxy Settings
List content of Hosts
List IP configuration
List Winsock Entries
List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs