Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Laptop running games slower than usual.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rtorr724

rtorr724

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:19 PM

So I got this laptop for christmas its a SATELLITE S855D-S5120

http://prntscr.com/4e3fh4 Specs

When I first got it I tried playing Garry's Mod. It ran flawless at max setting at 120fps.  Now when I try to play Garry's mod.  I play at lowest settings at 25-60 fps with a frame spike every second that lasts for about a tenth of a second and its highly noticeable when im playing.

And when I try to download something over Ethernet it downloads very slow and I have 50mbps download and when I speedtest over ethernet i get 1mbps and over wifi i get 10mbps download.

If anyone could help me and fix my problem or tell me whats wrong with my laptop that would be amazing.

Thanks!

EDIT:

And I also made sure power saving was turned off for my battery and for my internet.

Edited by rtorr724, 18 August 2014 - 02:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,625 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:09 PM

If nothing has changed from when you first got your high FRs, and I don't know what ISP you are using, but it sounds like choking to me from your ISP. However:

>You are only running a 2.6GHz processor, which is low for gaming; I don't know how big your L2 or L3 cache is, but it should be minimally 2 megs, preferable 3 or 4.

> Have you installed any new programs or utilities, especially antivirus, etc.?

>There may be loaders running in the background that are pulling performance down. Try closing down your antivirus Realtime Protection from running when you play. Close out any BHO's (Browser Helper Objects) which will include browser toolbars; They are one of the single biggest drags on performance you can have running, and are totally unneeded for the running of your computer. Most people don't even know that they have these running in the background.

>Shut down all un-critical utilities from running;  many of these have entries in the RUN hive in the register. Things like Snagit (screen shot utility), various graphics programs, video programs, etc. will have startups in the RUN hive and you can just as easily start them from a desktop icon when needed. And most of them do it. Some of these you may be able to kill from Task Manager  >Processes tab.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 rtorr724

rtorr724
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:33 PM

I have no antivirus i  have rcn for my internet and i close everythng when i play a steam game.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users