Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

JRT is stuck at "Checking Startup"

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kip123

kip123

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:23 PM

Hi, I'm following a Windows 7 'maintenance link' found in your Windows 7 forum (http://windowsinstructed.com/windows-7-or-vista-machine-is-running-a-bit-slower-than-it-used-to/). Ran the CCleaner w/o problems. Now I'm on JRT, which appears to be stuck on the above step. Any ideas what could cause this? Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:55 PM

First of all...that's not a BC link, unless I suddenly can no longer read URLs.

Second...I have no idea who posted said link...or whether it was just someone passing through BC posting links (we have those) or someone who truly is knowledgeable and thought that the link might be useful. 

Third...you should never take advice/suggestions from one situation...and try to apply those to your own.  The systems, the details, the problems...may appear to be similar but they often are not such.

Now...if you can provide some pertinent information, we can try to resolve your situation.

How long has JRT been running...how long has it been stuck?

What was wrong with your system...before you started your "clean-up"?

Louis

#3 kip123

kip123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:31 PM

Hi Louis,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.  Looks like it is progressing through its steps now.  Last time I tried, it was stuck for over 5 hours.

With regard to the link I'm certain I was taken to it by a link in the upper portion of the Windows 7 forum...but it seems I was mistaken.  I only followed its suggestions, because it was presented as a generic "before post try these steps" scenario.

The reason I was looking to spruce up my PC operation were just a few small issues that became frustrating:

#1  - Getting error messages on Google "Unable to connect because server did not send any data"....or s.th. similar

#2 - keyboard stops mid-word and I need to reboot to get it working again  (USB)

#3 - overall sluggishness

#4 - unable to get rid of PUP.........Conduit.A

I'm running MBAM at least once a week. Also have ZA and a paid version of Spybot.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:05 PM

With most Adware/Junkware/PUPs it is strongly recommended to deal with it like a legitimate program and uninstall from Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs) in the Control Panel or an alternative third party uninstaller like Revo. In many cases, using the uninstaller of the adware not only removes it more effectively, but it also restores any changed configuration. After uninstallation, then you can run specialized tools like AdwCleaner and JRT to fix any remaining entries they may find.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users