Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to startup a Lenovo P500 running 8.0 after automatic software updates

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Koda2014

Koda2014

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:27 AM

Yesterday when I shutdown my laptop I got the notification that updates were in progress and not to shut down. After completed I attempted to startup and laptop will not complete startup. After powering up I get past the password log in and the task bar and icons appear. Only a third of the icons are in color the rest are b/w. When I hold the cursor over the task bar I get the working circle and when holding over the icons I get the arrow. After 30 seconds or so the screen flashes on and off as if the laptop is stuck at a point in the process. It never fully starts and flashes until I hit cont/alt/del and power off. Can anyone help?
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:04 PM

Hi there is a known issue with some of the Tuesday 12th August updates, I am finding references to this all over the net.

Do you have the rescue disk or other bootable media from when you got the computer?

If so have a look at the "Known Issue 3" on this page, it describes how to get out of the problem, here is the Microsoft page :-

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2982791/en-us

Nev.

Why all the fuss, I already have Windows 8. Three windows at the front, and five at the back since I bought the house.
Posted Image

#3 Koda2014

Koda2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:15 PM

Thanks for the help. I don't have of at least can't find the rescue disk so I will have to contact Lenovo to get one.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:45 PM

According to the link %windir%\system32\fntcache.dat is supposed to be deleted and at that point the computer should boot normally. If you do not have an install disk, you can delete the file, if it exists,  with a small linux distro disk like Puppy. If you want to do that post back and I can give you the instructions.

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 August 2014 - 07:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users