Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What happens if you install a program that...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 I have a computer...

I have a computer...

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:54 AM

What happens if you install a program that you don't have the minimum requirements for?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kaz20

kaz20

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:05 AM

it wont work or fully install

#3 I have a computer...

I have a computer...
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:55 AM

I'm not entirely sure if I am allowed to bump this topic, but since I did start it, and I did not get the exact answer I was looking for, I hope it is okay.

But is it dangerous to the computer or something to install a program when you don't have all of the minimum requirements?

Like, does the program detect it while installing and let you know or something?

Will using the program after installling, crash the computer or something?

More, specifically, I would like to install Microsoft Expression Encoder 4 (SP1) and one of the minimum requirements is .NET Framework 4.0 and Silverlight 4.0 which I don't have. I do have .NET Framework 4.5. 1 and I don't know if it will still work. I have no idea what .NET framework or silverlight is so I am not sure.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 11:58 AM

What happens when you install a program that requires a version of .NET Framework that you don't have, the correct version will automatically download too. It has to be that version of .NET Framework. 4.5 won't work with an application that requires 4.0. Silverlight is Microsoft's version of Adobe Flash and I assume if an app needs Silverlight and you don't already have it, it will automatically download as part of the download of the app. Your original question did not say what you meant by minimum requirement as there are apps that won't install on older PCs because they aren't powerful enough to run the app. 

#5 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 15 November 2014 - 06:21 AM

The few times I tried to install programs that my computer would not run, the program had a window pop up telling me that it would not run. The even fewer times (once) I went ahead and installed the program, it didn't run. It locked up my computer so I had to reboot.

Your program may not do that, but I'm pretty sure it won't be dangerous to your computer. It shouldn't affect other programs and I don't see how it could do any physical harm.

But I'm no expert either... :blink:

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users