Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Home Network

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 andrewrmunro

andrewrmunro

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:51 AM

I am building a new house and have access to run all the wires I need at the moment to create a home network, I want to make sure I get everything wired up now while I can.

Do I need a router or a switch?

I want to have wifi in the house, does a wifi router connect to the main router or switch?

Attached is a picture showing what I want to connect.

Upstairs I have 4 rooms to run the internet to

In the Basement I have basically two rooms, an ofice and living room which will have a TV, Xbox, AV receiver, and Roku 3.

I am in Canada and also what to get the American Netflix on my Roku 3 by using something like Unblock-Us, does that affect the design?

Can someone tell me what devices I should use?

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:35 AM

You can go about this a few different ways, depending on how much wire you want to run and how close the devices are to each other.

It is unclear from your diagram how many floors we are talking.  Generally you want your wireless router or access point to be either centrally located or where you will be using it most.

I'm more a fan of equipment over wiring.  I'd recommend one network connection per room at a minimum, one on each wall is better and allows for more flexibility.

Since it looks like your modem is going to be in your basement, I would recommend running all of your cable to the basement.

Get a Wall Mount cabinet you probably won't need more than a 6U, but since those are out of stock until September you may want to go with a 9U now.  Then you're going to need a patch panel with sufficient ports for all of your runs, jacks one for each run, wall plates to install the jacks in, cable to connect the jacks with the patch panel.

Now for equipment.  You're going to want a router by the modem.  In rooms with a lot of devices you may want only one run with a switch to connect all of the devices rather than one run per device.  I'd recommend going with ZyXEL routers they are inexpensive and you can easily configure them as wireless access points.  Routers configured as access points will have all but one LAN port available to be used as a switch.

Your basic layout will look like this:

Modem -> Router -> Patch Panel -> Device/Switch/Access Point

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users