Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WD Elements shows up as local disk

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Wolffie03

Wolffie03

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:04 AM

Hello! I'm a new poster here and I just registered in order to get this problem fix despite all of the other solutions I've found on here not having any sort of effect on my external hard drive. (And also because I don't want to mess with my external hard drive.)

I'm currently having problems with my 1TB WD Elements external hard drive. The model is something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136996

I run Windows 7. The problem initially started after a friend had decided to pull out my 1TB from the USB without safely ejecting it. Anyways. After said friend left, I plugged in my 1TB, figuring that it was going to work again like it did from the other times I accidentally unplugged it before. However, now it shows Local Disk and the letter of the drive it was assigned to. Also, there's  0 bytes in free and used space; if I click on the local disk there's always a message about formatting. Obviously, I don't format the drive. I've also tried testing the hard drive on my older sister's computer, thinking maybe it might read the actual external hard drive as well. Unfortunately, her laptop only recognized it as local disk as well.

The solutions I've tried my luck on have included assigning the drive another letter, restarting the computer: No luck. I've checked the drive through Testdisk and my files are still in tact if I choose none (when choosing the type); it'll show the correct partition (and my files). However, when I chose the Intel/PC type, it showed something about bad boot sectors? (I apologize in advance. I'll see if I can provide screenshots later because I currently don't have much time. D:)

The external hard drive also shows on my disc management but it's in a RAW format. So... right now, as a last resort, I'm currently running check disk. (Specifically, chkdsk #: /r) (Replace the # with the letter of the drive.) It's repairing bad sectors and other things. Unfortunately, it's taking awhile because I have a lot of data on there. (Even though I practically let it run overnight; it's 12 percent atm.) Luckily, I do have a spare external hard drive so if there are any suggestions about moving the data into the other external hard drive, I'll be able to do so. 

I understand this problem is common from what I read and looked up. I apologize for bringing this up. However, I'm just trying to find a specific solution to this problem

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:11 AM

Hello, and Welcome

Chkdsk cannot be run on a RAW drive. I am curious as you how you were able to even start it on the external. Do not stop it. Let it complete.

If you can see the files in TestDisk , do you have enough space on another drive to copy the files. That would be the best option and then we can try to recover the drive partition.

#3 Wolffie03

Wolffie03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:51 AM

I have no idea how I got it to run either. I had just input the command and it just ran by itself when I found the K: drive in the options. And yes, I do have a lot of space on the other external hard drive to copy the files. I will update when the check disk is done. I think it might take an entire day unfortunately. D:

Update: Check disk is pretty much running slow. I left it running over night since last night, so it's been almost 24 hours and the process is still stuck at 12%. I believe it's on Stage 4, currently (as in it's actually repairing the bad sectors, etc), but due to the enormous amount of files it's processing, I cannot really see what stage it's in. I don't know if I should just keep it running or just give up/end the process. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if stopping the process might damage my external hard drive or any data on there. :x

Update #2: Check disk apparently stopped and this is all it gave me. :x

ComputerProblem_zps84162e86.png

Edited by Wolffie03, 18 August 2014 - 06:51 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:19 PM

That is why I do not like running chkdsk. Hopefully when you run Testdisk again you will be able to see your files as before. Can you?

#5 Wolffie03

Wolffie03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:20 PM

Oh my god. I don't know what exactly happened, but all I did was insert the USB port to another place to plug in and the computer recognized the drive. I'm not entirely sure what happened but it seems the problem eventually solved itself. Lol. (Now it seems pretty silly that I had posted on here. XD) Um. One more thing, though. There's a message that says if I want to scan and fix the drive. Um... do I do that to ensure that no future problems will happen? I just want to double check that everything's okay and nothing will get erased.

(I actually checked the entire drive and my data didn't get moved, altered or erased in any way; so that's a good thing.)

Regardless, thank you for trying to help. :D

#6 Frozwire

Frozwire

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:17 PM

You may running WD Lifeguard Diagnostic Utility on that drive to ensure the drive is still in it's perfect shape for normal use.

"Encryption...is a powerful defensive weapon for free people. It offers a technical guarantee of privacy, regardless of who is running the government... It's hard to think of a more powerful, less dangerous tool for liberty...” - Esther Dyson

#7 Wolffie03

Wolffie03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 11:24 AM

It's been a year now and I haven't really had a chance to use the drive. However, I discovered that despite the fact it seems the files are -fine-, I can't do anything in the hard drive. I can't even copy files I want into a new hard drive. :/

I've done a WD Lifeguard Diagnostic Utility on it. 

http://s999.photobucket.com/user/PrincessWolffie/media/Computer%20Problems/Drive%20Stuff_zpsfzymtbfr.png.html?sort=3&o=0 <--- This is a link to the result that I've gotten. There's just so many errors on it. What the heck do I do now? Send it in to some experts to see if they can fix it or format the entire drive? :/

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 07:27 AM

You were able to see the files fine as probably the MFT (Master File Table) was intact but the files themselves are on bad sectors. From your image it looks like the drive has failed completely. I think your only chance of pulling anything off the drive would be with a program like Minitools Data Recovery which will allow up to 1GB for free. After that you need to purchase it.

Another option is PhotoRec which is included in the Testdisk zipped folder but your recovery disk has to have at least the same free space as the amount of data you plan to recover. With the amount of bad sectors on this drive, it probably is not very much.

#9 Wolffie03

Wolffie03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2015 - 03:36 PM

Gosh. That's unfortunate. Would GetDataBack be a good alternative to recover anything? The link is here: https://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm. Of course, I'd have to purchase it but I'd rather have an opinion on whether or not it'll be able to at least recover anything from the bad sectors. :/

Edited by Wolffie03, 29 August 2015 - 03:36 PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2015 - 03:52 PM

GetDataBack would work. I don't know if it will let you preview the recovery. I know Minitool Data Recovery will give you 1GB for free to see if it works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users