Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

When you click on a post...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:57 AM

... and it says;

Sorry, we couldn't find that!

[#103139]

You do not have permission to view this forum.

What has actually happened to the post? Is it spam, really dangerous information that shouldn't get out, or what? Does it really go to a forum only Mods can view and laugh over??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:13 AM

We are serious when it comes to spam and security and things that are so dangerous they could cause harm to a system.

We do not laugh over those posts.

They do get moved to a secure area out of public view.

We have a NO SPAM policy here at Bleeping Computer. We do not tolerate spamming of any kind.

Spam takes several forms: generic run of the mill spam OR links to programs which install malware OR links to a commercial business OR such things as "for help contact abcxyz" which are normally businesses which for a fee will remote access your computer and "solve" whatever ails it. These are a few examples of spam-there are many more which we deal with on a daily basis. Some of the programs spammers tout can be downloaded and run, but in order to "fix" the problems the program must be purchased. There are usually free reputable programs or steps to take with don't require the use of any program which will work.

The time spent on dealing with those posts takes away from what we would rather be doing: HELPING people with their issues.

This morning I removed a spam post. Had anyone decided to download the file linked to and install it he/she would have found out real quick that malware would also have been installed. Specifically Generic BackDoor.xa trojan

Many of our members are novice computer users. When they have a problem they will try anything in order to resolve their issues. They don't know what is or is not good or bad.

Some will click anything just to see what it does. We are here to help. We do not want people blindly installing something that would harm a system. We don't want people to get scammed by a company spammed by someone else. There are lot of companies that will take the money and run and provide nothing to benefit those using the service.

In essence, we are protecting those people from themselves.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 18 August 2014 - 02:41 PM.
Inserted missing word for proper meaning. ~ OB

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,558 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:13 PM

... and it says;

Sorry, we couldn't find that!

[#103139]

You do not have permission to view this forum.

What has actually happened to the post? Is it spam, really dangerous information that shouldn't get out, or what? Does it really go to a forum only Mods can view and laugh over??

You deserve a simple, direct answer to your questions.

In the first situation (sorry, we could not find...), one of several things has occurred.  The post has been deleted, sometimes at OP request, sometimes because it was a duplicate, sometimes because it's spam.  Or...the post may have been merged with another existing topic/post by same member.

The "you do not have permission" applies simply because there are all sorts of forums here and members do not need access to all of them.  All are administrative in nature and would be of no interest to a member participating in a forum...although I suspect that they might make good fodder for Gen Chat :).  Examples would be BC malware instruction forums, topics which have raised questions that need to be reconciled by Staff, and spam topics/posts.

Now that you know the "secret workings" of BC...the next time that you see one of those two situations, you will have a better understanding of what might be going on and why we don't encumber members with access to such.  It's very unexciting, very uninformative...of no value to anyone outside BC Staff.

Good luck with your topic :).

Louis

#4 Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:06 PM

I would like to add, that any member who sees an obvious spam post, or a post with something wrong in whatever way, just hover the mouse pointer over the offending post and you will see the word "Report" will appear next to and to the left of the MultiQuote button. Click on that Report button that appears and then follow any instructions to report what you find wrong. That then makes it shown to all moderators that there is something requiring attention. It will then be dealt with quite quickly.

Nev.

Why all the fuss, I already have Windows 8. Three windows at the front, and five at the back since I bought the house.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users