Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

AdwCleaner keeps getting removed from my system?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Mr.Atman_*

Guest_Mr.Atman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:51 AM

I first downloaded my AdwCleaner program some weeks ago starting from the version 3.302. It worked when i first ran it but after few days when I click on the shortcut to open it again, a window with a message popped up about new update. I clicked ok. I guess as a result of that the portable AdwCleaner.exe gets removed from the system somehow because when I try to open it by clicking on the AdwCleaner icon (shortcut) in the Start menu, I get a message that says: "The item 'adwcleaner_3.301.exe' that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut will no longer work properly." 
I've been downloading the updated versions (AdwCleaner gets constant updates) since the version 3.302 until 3.304 and the same error keeps repeating. 

Maybe it's my avast! anti-virus that keeps deleting it (though i'm not getting any warning messages) or maybe something is wrong with the program itself. Does AdwCleaner stop working each time when there's a new update? and do you have to repeatedly download AdwCleaner.exe each time there's a version update? I have no idea how AdwCleaner update works.

btw, i download it from here:
http://download.cnet.com/AdwCleaner/3000-7786_4-75851221.html

Edited by hamluis, 18 August 2014 - 10:42 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to AV/AM Software - Hamlluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,261 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:36 AM

Downloading anything from Cnet is a sure way of getting more adware.

Download AdwCleaner from here: AdwCleaner Download

AdwCleaner updates by reinstalling. It updates often throughout the week.

Other programs that are good at finding and removing adware are:

Junkware Removal Tool Download

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free

Free Virus Scan | Online Virus Scanner from ESET

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:08 AM

AdwCleaner does not protect you from adware installing. It only finds and remove adware already installed.

It often takes more than one program to find and remove the thousands of adware programs.

There is one site that hosts many of the most popular programs that does not include the adware installed by

other sites that host the same programs. Ninite - Install or Update Multiple Apps at Once

Some adware can be removed from browsers by resetting browsers. Some adware can be disabled/ removed by

in the browser's listing of Add-ons, extensions, plugins. Some adware can be removed by uninstalling from the

Add/ Remove program list in Windows.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:17 PM

AdwCleaner is a stand-alone tool which does not require installation and is frequently updated. Before using it to check your system, you should always download and use the most current version. In most cases, if the tool is outdated you will be prompted to download the current version.

Using the download link provided by buddy215, the file name will be AdwCleaner.exe without any version number. Then depending on where you placed AdwCleaner (on the Desktop, it's own folder or somewhere else) the current version will overwrite the older one if saved/moved to the same location.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users