Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB cord suddenly doesn't plug into my external hard drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 4youte

4youte

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:46 AM

I'm having a very weird hardware issue. My back up drive was plugged in and working fine, but one of the things that was required me for me to do for computer issues in another thread I have on here was to unplug the backup drive. Now all of a sudden the usb cord will not plug back into the backup drive no matter what I do. I am so mad because I need to get files I backed up which are not available within windows backup when I try to restore previous versions of some files. Do you have any insight as to why out of nowhere this usb cord will not plug in? There was a never an issue before, and I don't see how the usb cord could have gotten so messed up from unplugging it that it won't plug in anymore.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zerue

Zerue

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:41 AM

I'm having a very weird hardware issue. My back up drive was plugged in and working fine, but one of the things that was required me for me to do for computer issues in another thread I have on here was to unplug the backup drive. Now all of a sudden the usb cord will not plug back into the backup drive no matter what I do. I am so mad because I need to get files I backed up which are not available within windows backup when I try to restore previous versions of some files. Do you have any insight as to why out of nowhere this usb cord will not plug in? There was a never an issue before, and I don't see how the usb cord could have gotten so messed up from unplugging it that it won't plug in anymore.

Hi, would you mind giving more specifics on what do you mean by "won't plug in"?

If I am helping you but failed to reply within 24 hours, send me a PM.

------------------------------------

Please read these guides:

Before you post a problem

Provide system specifications

Advice on building your system

#3 4youte

4youte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:14 AM

Ok you know the usb slot in the back of an external hard drive that a usb cord plugs into? Well the usb cord that came with it would always plug in easily with no issue. Now it won't plug in whatsoever. 

#4 Zerue

Zerue

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:32 AM

You mean It doesnt fit? have you tried using a different cable with the same connector?

If I am helping you but failed to reply within 24 hours, send me a PM.

------------------------------------

Please read these guides:

Before you post a problem

Provide system specifications

Advice on building your system

#5 4youte

4youte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:17 PM

Yes it used to fit perfectly with no trouble since it came with the drive, but for some odd reason it doesn't anymore ever since that one time I unplugged it. I don't believe I have a different cable with the same connector. It's a wd external hard drive which I use to back up my stuff.

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:09 AM

You may have damaged the connector when you disconnected it.  Take a look at the connector on the drive to see if it is damaged.  A possible option would be to remove the drive and use a USB to SATA adapter to connect it to your machine.

#7 4youte

4youte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:44 AM

I can't tell if it's damaged as I don't know what to look for. I would just simply order a usb cord online if I knew what would fit into this drive if I didn't have a problem with theft over here, and I can trust I would get it safely.

#8 4youte

4youte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2014 - 02:15 AM

Ok how would I know what kind of USB cord to order for my hard drive? I'm gonna be making a big order on Amazon or some site so I would like to get this as well in hopes that these will all come where I would have to sign for them to ensure they my packages won't be stolen. 

#9 4youte

4youte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2014 - 02:29 AM

It's a WD external hard drive so I search for WD Eternal Hard Drive USB Cord. It seems like the product at the link below would work. It seems self-explanatory so I'm guessing I didn't have to ask, but I thought it couldn't hurt. 

http://www.amazon.com/STORITE-OEM-SuperSpeed-Cable-Micro/dp/B00A28P3AC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410593161&sr=8-1&keywords=wd+external+hard+drive+cord

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users