Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Dell Inspiron E1505 from WinXP to 7, any advice?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 argonvegell

argonvegell

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:47 AM

My father wants to upgrade his Dell Inspiron E1505's operating system, from XP to 7, and as of the moment, there are problems with his laptop, as follows:

The hard drive finally failed, so I'll have to buy a new hard drive for it.

DVD drive is defective, my solution is to buy a USB external DVD drive, but can I install Windows 7 from that on that laptop?

RAM, based of my reading, please correct me if I'm wrong, you need at least 2GB of RAM to run Windows 7 effectively, but the laptop only has 1GB of RAM, that is two 512 MB RAM sticks, and I know the laptop's motherboard can only handle 2GB RAM, and I looked around, I couldn't find two 1GB RAM sticks, all I could find was one 2GB RAM stick, my question, can the laptop accept 2GB RAM on one slot, while the other slot is empty?

That's all the problems, thanks. Can Dell Inspiron E1505 run Windows 7 at all, or should he just stick to Windows XP? And to those who will say just install Linux, I'm a Linux user and LInux, unfortunately, doesn't meet my father's requirements, he needs Windows for his magicJack, and yes, magicJack can be used without a computer, however, you still need Windows to register it and renew plans, and he needs Skype for group calls, Skype in Linux doesn't support group calls.

And to those who will say just purchase a new laptop, I wish we could, but we can't, not enough money at the moment.

Edited by argonvegell, 18 August 2014 - 03:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,669 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:38 AM

Just out of the starting gate; you need a hard drive, external optical drive, RAM, Windows 7 install disc and don't know if the computer is upgradeable to Windows 7.

--- For what it will cost you for those items you can buy another laptop for just a few bucks more

--- Not a new laptop but a refurbished Windows 7 Home Premium that will just plug in and be ready to run

--- Personally I'd recommend a computer that can take at least 4GB RAM

--- I've done that for some of my friends and they were happy to be able to just plug the computer in, boot it up and just start using it

--- I suspect that even if the computer qualifies to up date to Windows 7 it will be based on minimum specs with usually results in minimum performance

--- You can do on-line searches for refurbished Windows 7 laptops

--- Another thought: One of my friends wanted a good working XP computer for a certain program she wants to continue using; by inquiring among her friends she picked up an XP desktop computer that was in excellent shape for free because the owner had bought a new computer; and if she wanted to update to Windows 7 it's definitely upgradeable to Windows 7. If you could run into a similar situation, you could upgrade such a computer to Windows 7 Home Premium for about $95.00 counting taxes

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:32 AM

Hi

FWIW You can go to 2Gb with two 1Gb memory per Kingston. I'm not recommending them they are just where I checked. They showed

KTD-INSP6000B/1G 1GB 667MHz SODIMM $35.00 $24.38 SHOPPIMA In Stock

However 2Gb is sort of low for Windows 7. I use 6Gb with my main Windows 7 Desktop and 4Gb in the Windows 7 Laptop and 8Gb with Windows 8.

I'm with Larry as far as replace, not repair. If You had a good Hard Drive, DVD drive and 2Gb memory then I'd say try it. However

I see new Windows 8.1 laptops for $229 and up. When I took a quick look on a Big Box stores website I saw a ASUS, Acer and Toshiba all at that price.

How to add a Start Menu to Windows 8 using Classic Shell a free program that I use on this computer.

Classic Shell is a popular Start Menu alternative that allows you to change the Windows Start Menu to appear as different Windows Start Menu styles or a new one created by the developers of Classic Shell. A really nice feature is that for those who do not wish to use the Windows 8 Start Screen, Classic Shell is configured by default to bypass it and boot directly to the desktop. If you wish to use your apps from the desktop, Classic Shell will also list them in the Start Menu for easy launching. This can be disabled for those who wish to continue to boot Windows 8 to the Start Screen.

Windows 8.1 is a good Operating System. Add Classic Shell set to make it look like Windows 7 and Home free.

Our Tutorials here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-8/

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:08 PM

I'm with the rest and that a new machine is a better investment.  Even a refurbished unit will blow that machine out of the water.  As has already been pointed out you're going to be putting a few hundred dollars into getting Windows 7 on that machine and while it may boot it will be painful to use.  I'd recommend checking out Woot! every day until you see a machine that fits your price range.  They normally have computers a few times a week.  Woot is an Amazon company and the deals are good for 24 hours or until they run out.

#5 argonvegell

argonvegell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:45 AM

Thanks for the responses everyone, I will be thinking about purchasing a new laptop if and when we can get the money together, thanks. Well, my father is currently using my Linux box for his usual surfing, and Skype, he'll have to hold off group calling for a while though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users