Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen from Hades

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 TechnicalDifficulty

TechnicalDifficulty

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:00 AM

Hello,

I'm using a Toshiba laptop and running Windows 7 Professional. The other day I was using my computer and everything was fine. Then I turned it off, and that was the last time it's worked. The next day when I turned it on, it got to the "Starting Windows" screen and then it blue screened with the following message. 

"BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO" 

*** STOP: 0x00000074

I tried Last Known Good Configuration but that just blue screened too. My System Restore feature hasn't worked in a long time so I couldn't use that. I ran System Repair but that couldn't fix it. System Repair originally said the root cause found was "Registry is corrupt". But then I ran a disk check and it said it deleted a number of corrupt "attributes". I also followed some instructions I found about this problem and went to the Command Prompt and put in some bootrec(?) commands. I wasn't able to do all the commands the instructions said since my computer didn't respond to the commands like the instructions said it should have. However, since doing whatever I did, the System Repair now no longer says the root cause found is corrupt registry. It now says: "Startup Repair has tried several times but still cannot determine the cause of the problem."

Can anyone help with this? My computer is useless but I can't re-install Windows because I have some important files that I didn't get to back up yet. There has to be another way. 

Edited by TechnicalDifficulty, 18 August 2014 - 02:38 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TechnicalDifficulty

TechnicalDifficulty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:19 AM

Hmmm...

OK, I just went to my Setup Utility and I see that in the "Boot" section my hard disk drive is at the bottom of the list. I don't know what this means but I've attached a screen shot of it. The first thing on the list is my CD drive(which doesn't work). Could this possibly be the problem? Should I click on the HDD?

*edited to remove image for more space

Edited by TechnicalDifficulty, 18 August 2014 - 12:33 PM.

#3 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:45 AM

You can adjust the HD to the top of the list if you want but it's likely not your problem. The problem is your corrupt boot config. This video explains what the error is and how to repair it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKH0dGX4KeA However, if you have no working cd rom drive, not boot disk and the system doesn't boot into 'safe mode with command prompt' this gone from bad to worse. Furthermore, It seems the bios doesn't support USB booting.

#4 TechnicalDifficulty

TechnicalDifficulty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:08 AM

You can adjust the HD to the top of the list if you want but it's likely not your problem. The problem is your corrupt boot config. This video explains what the error is and how to repair it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKH0dGX4KeA However, if you have no working cd rom drive, not boot disk and the system doesn't boot into 'safe mode with command prompt' this gone from bad to worse. Furthermore, It seems the bios doesn't support USB booting.

The CD drive isn't completely gone. It will read CDs, but not every time. It also won't burn CDs. This is something that happened when I dropped the computer long ago so I assume it's a loose cable or something. But the thing is, my computer doesn't have  "truncatememory" or "numproc" values in the bcdedit command prompt. The attached picture is what I have.

Attached Files

Edited by TechnicalDifficulty, 18 August 2014 - 07:10 AM.

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:23 AM

Sorry for the delayed reply I was having driver issues myself. Can you post a picture of the top part of the bcdedit output?

edit: You can also output the bcd by using the cmd bcdedit /enum all > c:\bcd.txt You would have to copy that to another medium to post the results here. Also, don't edit the bcd until you first create a backup., if you make a mistake you can recover.

bcdedit /export c:\bcdbackup

bcdedit /import c:\bcdbackup

Edit: Since the laptop was dropped you might have to fix the mbr and rebuild from scratch and do the commands in order below. Once finished see if the system boots into windows. If not then check the bcdedit again for any changes.

1. bcdedit /export c:\bcdbackup

2. bootrec /fixmbr

3. bootrec /fixboot

4. c:

5. cd boot

6. attrib bcd -r -h -s

7. ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

8. bootrec /rebuildbcd

9. shutdown /r

Edited by technonymous, 18 August 2014 - 08:53 AM.

#6 TechnicalDifficulty

TechnicalDifficulty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:17 AM

OK, I'm going to try posting from my phone since I'm no longer near another computer.

Are you saying to type the
commands one right after the other, or are you saying type the export command, do whatever I have to do, then finish by typing the import command later?

#7 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:34 AM

OK, I'm going to try posting from my phone since I'm no longer near another computer.

Are you saying to type the
commands one right after the other, or are you saying type the export command, do whatever I have to do, then finish by typing the import command later?

No sorry about that. I was showing what you would type to backup and recover if things went south. You always backup first and if you edit something wrong with bcdedit then that is how you import your previous backup with bcdedit /import c:\bcdbackup. I think you should try the below steps in my previous post.

Edited by technonymous, 18 August 2014 - 09:35 AM.

#8 TechnicalDifficulty

TechnicalDifficulty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:01 AM

OK, gotcha.
I can't post a picture of the top part of the bdcedit outpost because my phone makes the image files too big and without a computer I can't reduce it. I'll have to get that for you when I'm around another computer.

Will try the other steps and see what happens.

#9 TechnicalDifficulty

TechnicalDifficulty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:27 PM

OK, I don't know if this helps but I did the bcdedit /enum all command and the "truncatememory" and "numproc" attributes still don't appear. But  something about bad memory did. I've attached a screenshot of that message.

Attached Files

#10 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:33 PM

OK, I don't know if this helps but I did the bcdedit /enum all command and the "truncatememory" and "numproc" attributes still don't appear. But  something about bad memory did. I've attached a screenshot of that message.

That normal ignore it. Did you do the steps 1-9?

#11 TechnicalDifficulty

TechnicalDifficulty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:35 PM

As for the rest of the bootrec instructions, I did them all in order and now I'm being asked whether to add installation to the boot list. I didn't press anything since I don't know which one I'm supposed to choose. Here's what it looks like.

Attached Files

#12 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:41 PM

Choose yes.

#13 TechnicalDifficulty

TechnicalDifficulty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 03:56 PM

Sorry for the delay, there's a "leakage egress"(whatever that is) in my area so I don't have internet access at home right now and can only respond when I'm out.

OK, I clicked yes but it still won't boot. I don't know if this is an improvement or not, but now a different screen comes up(see attached) when I restart. It no longer goes to System Repair, it goes to this screen. But, since I need my files, I don't want to risk putting the installation disc in and erasing them. I think I can still get to Command Prompt though.

Attached Files

#14 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:28 PM

Have you changed your hd to boot first in the bios? Also some bios have a boot logo at the POST if you disable this in bios you can watch process and verify if the bios is detecting the hard drive during POST. You can press Pause key to pause the screen and Enter key to resume. Can you boot into safe mode or safe mode with command prompt? Have you tried rstrui.exe in command prompt? Rstrui.exe can be ran in dos and you can choose a earlier restore point. If none of this works then you might be able to manually restore. If you are booting from the cd to a command prompt you will be at X: drive letter. You then you need to verify which drive letter is C: and has the notation "boot"

To verify which drive letter has the notation "boot" run the commands...

DISKPART

LIST VOLUME

Run command EXIT to exit diskpart utility.

Change directory to the volume that was noted as "boot" assuming it was C:

CD C:\WINDOWS\SYTEM32\CONFIG

MD BACKUP

COPY *.* BACKUP

CD REGBACK

COPY *.* ..

Answer YES to Copy and replace the files.

SHUTDOWN /R

Edit: You may be able to try system disk repair boot option again. If none of this works then I am affraid you need to backup your user file and other files you want to save to a secondary drive and reinstall the OS. It's always best to have a backup solution and image the drive. You cannot always depend on these tools to try to repair stuff when the system crashes like this.

Edited by technonymous, 19 August 2014 - 10:27 PM.

#15 TechnicalDifficulty

TechnicalDifficulty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2014 - 04:06 PM

Yes, I changed it in the BIOS to boot from the disk first but that didn't make any difference. I'm not sure what a boot logo is but I can hear the hard disk spinning when I start-up, then it stops when I get to the "Starting Windows" screen. Since everything is a mess right now and I can barely get online, I think I'm going to just wait until next week when I hopefully will have better internet access and see if I can recover my data and then proceed from there and report back.

Edited by TechnicalDifficulty, 24 August 2014 - 04:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users