Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installed Windows 7 and have this message

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Windows777

Windows777

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:41 AM

Hello, I get this message at start up... here is a picture:

ZiSHAOQ.jpg

Everything else is working fine.  The last time i installed windows 7 on this computer, this message happened but went away after 2-3 days.  Now it has been more than 2-3 days and it still shows up at start up.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:51 AM

Please try going to BIOS section and load default configuration. Look also into Network Boot and disable if active then press Save and Exit. The problem might also come from a weak CMOS battery which needs replacement. Let us know how it went after making the certain changes. :thumbup2:

Tekken

#3 Windows777

Windows777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:12 AM

Please try going to BIOS section and load default configuration. Look also into Network Boot and disable if active then press Save and Exit. The problem might also come from a weak CMOS battery which needs replacement. Let us know how it went after making the certain changes. :thumbup2:

I loaded default settings in bios and it wouldn't even go to windows.  I had to shut down and change something back to "legacy" 

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:43 AM

Look also into Network Boot and disable if active then press Save and Exit. The problem might also come from a weak CMOS battery which needs replacement.

Tekken

#5 Windows777

Windows777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:16 AM

Look also into Network Boot and disable if active then press Save and Exit. The problem might also come from a weak CMOS battery which needs replacement.

I see.  Yes I think you are spot on.  It might be the battery because last time I had this message when I re installed windows and then it just disappeared on its own one day. Now it is not going away.

What are the repercussions of bad CMOS battery in the long run?

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:29 AM

A weak CMOS means the BIOS would not retain saved hardware configurations such as boot priority, date and other default settings everytime you would power up your computer thus exhibiting in your case. See also if Network option is enabled.

Tekken

#7 Windows777

Windows777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:33 AM

A weak CMOS means the BIOS would not retain saved hardware configurations such as boot priority, date and other default settings everytime you would power up your computer thus exhibiting in your case. See also if Network option is enabled.

Yes, I disabled the PCI ATheros boot and it would not boot up to windows... had to restart and change it back.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:17 AM

The PCI Atheros boot is the Network Boot (Boot to LAN). As jhayz says, a likely cause is a flat CMOS backup battery messing up the boot options, or another possible cause is a faulty hard drive or data cable/connection to the hard drive. If the hard drive is not detected or cannot be read as bootable media, some systems default back to attempting Boot to LAN. This also fails and generates the PXE (Pre-eXecution Environment) error.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#9 Windows777

Windows777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:12 AM

The PCI Atheros boot is the Network Boot (Boot to LAN). As jhayz says, a likely cause is a flat CMOS backup battery messing up the boot options, or another possible cause is a faulty hard drive or data cable/connection to the hard drive. If the hard drive is not detected or cannot be read as bootable media, some systems default back to attempting Boot to LAN. This also fails and generates the PXE (Pre-eXecution Environment) error.

What other symptoms might I experience from a faulty hard drive / data cable/connection problem?  Is it possible to detect these problems?

I called lenovo support.  I don't know how competent they are, but they told me to download some kind of lenovo system checker and everything was ok in that scan.

Edited by Windows777, 20 August 2014 - 02:21 AM.

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:52 AM

What other symptoms might I experience from a faulty hard drive / data cable/connection problem?  Is it possible to detect these problems?

If the cable is not in good condition or loose on either the hard drive or slot, it's either the drive will not be detected first on BIOS menu. If the Hard drive has bad sectors depending on the diagnostic results, then it would either not boot to windows or experience performance slowdowns and freezes.

Tekken

#11 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:59 AM

Hi -

I did Google Lenovo System Checker and got several programs.

There are 2 programs listed as Lenovo Checks, and I am not quite sure if they are the same.

One claims to be "Powered by iolo technologies", and I would not trust that.

The other one looks similar but all links are Lenovo only but they do look the same.

They may be working together ???

#12 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,666 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:49 AM

I'm assuming when you say everything else is working fine, that after the pictured display the system continues to boot up into Windows? Or does it halt and need a warm boot (Ctrl-Alt-Del)? Also, if you just restart Windows, does the startup message show then too?

Data cable problems would be likely to cause things like BSODs or file corruption, although I once had a faulty IDE data cable that only ever caused registry errors. That was weird. If you have no such problems, maybe it's more a hard drive problem, and there again I have had an occasional hard drive which is slow to ID. That could possibly cause the system to look for a LAN boot, then find the hard drive next time around. That particular drive problem can be diagnosed, and even worked around, if the BIOS has an option to disable Fast Boot. That allows devices more retries to ID and can allow a slow IDing device to be usable, at the cost of a longer boot up time.

#13 Windows777

Windows777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:13 AM

I'm assuming when you say everything else is working fine, that after the pictured display the system continues to boot up into Windows? Or does it halt and need a warm boot (Ctrl-Alt-Del)? Also, if you just restart Windows, does the startup message show then too?

Data cable problems would be likely to cause things like BSODs or file corruption, although I once had a faulty IDE data cable that only ever caused registry errors. That was weird. If you have no such problems, maybe it's more a hard drive problem, and there again I have had an occasional hard drive which is slow to ID. That could possibly cause the system to look for a LAN boot, then find the hard drive next time around. That particular drive problem can be diagnosed, and even worked around, if the BIOS has an option to disable Fast Boot. That allows devices more retries to ID and can allow a slow IDing device to be usable, at the cost of a longer boot up time.

Yes the system continues to boot up by itself... going back to the lenovo screen and then windows.  Yeah I ahve done hard drive scans for problems, but nothing ahve showed up.  

Is there a way I can check to see if the problem could potentially be serious and cause problems for work?

#14 Windows777

Windows777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:14 AM

Hi -

I did Google Lenovo System Checker and got several programs.

There are 2 programs listed as Lenovo Checks, and I am not quite sure if they are the same.

One claims to be "Powered by iolo technologies", and I would not trust that.

The other one looks similar but all links are Lenovo only but they do look the same.

They may be working together ???

Actually it is called "lenovo system storage check"

#15 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,666 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:03 AM

I ahve done hard drive scans for problems, but nothing ahve showed up.  

Is there a way I can check to see if the problem could potentially be serious and cause problems for work?

If the problem is a hard drive that's slow to ID from a cold boot, then a diagnostic that tests the drive once it's ID'd and running may not see anything amiss. Does it only happen from a cold boot or also when you restart Windows?

What brand is the drive? If it is from a manufacturer that offers their own diagnostic tools, you could be able to generate a SMART status report (or if the Lenovo utility does so). Even if this gives a "pass" status, SMART thresholds for things like run-up time may not be triggered as a flag for prospective failure, but for example if the value shows it's just a little slow and hence can't read the firmware off the platter quite soon enough, that could explain the issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users