Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Poll: Bleeping or blinking which is worse? (5 member(s) have cast votes)

What did the creator really use in the place of bleeping?

1. Blinking (1 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

2. Flipping (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Freaking (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. other (4 votes [80.00%])

Percentage of vote: 80.00%

If a first time user didn't bookmark this site after lets say he just broke out of his white jump suit and rubber room earlier that day managed to find the site bleepingcomputer.com ask the question he needed to know then closed the browser. Later on after a couple of miller linghts he went back and couldn't find the site after typing blinking computer into his search engine every way he could think of should he be?

1. put back into his straight jacket (1 votes [20.00%])

2. given another miller light (1 votes [20.00%])

3. taught the real meaning of bleeping (2 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

4. ordered to take a class on turning pea brain dim lights on brignt (1 votes [20.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 popupgotme

popupgotme

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 03 June 2006 - 09:27 PM

Will I loose all my excel and word files if I re-install windows xp?

Edited by popupgotme, 04 June 2006 - 08:39 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 03 June 2006 - 09:30 PM

Not if you back them up first.

A full format and reinstallation wipes the disk (or more accurately prevents you access to it).

Use the Windows backup utility unless you have a better program like Dantz Retrospect, and back-up all your data.

#3 popupgotme

popupgotme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2006 - 09:44 PM

Yea I don't really want to go to all that work if I can help it. All I really need is to be able to get the windows explore short cut on my desk top to work. Do you know of a way to do that? All I did was ok to a windows update and bam this thing came in a pop up telling me to take a free spy ware scan. once I did that it was no more than a couple of seconds and symantec tell me that I have a spyware and or a virus.

Edited by popupgotme, 04 June 2006 - 08:44 AM.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2006 - 10:09 PM

That wasn't a Windows update.
That was a malicious program wanting to install itself on your computer.

I suggest you post a HijackThis log for examination.
A member of the HijackThis Team will walk you through, step by step, how to disinfect your computer.
Once you post your log, don't make any changes to your system, as that could change the results of the posted log, making it difficult to properly clean your system.

Read How to post a HijackThis Log.
Please read, and follow, all directions carefully!!!

Then, run a log, and post it in the HijackThis forum, at this link. Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
It may take a while to get a response, because the HJT Team are very busy. Please, be patient, as these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.

NOTE:
Once you have made the post, please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum, until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post, there will be 1 reply. The team member, glancing over the replies, might assume someone is already helping you out, and will not respond. So, just make your post, and let it sit there, until a team member responds. This way you will be taken care of, in the most timely manner.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 popupgotme

popupgotme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 09:18 AM

You know I am not sure I got the virus stopped and am just a little afraid that if I shut the machine down that it will not boot up in safe mode again. The history on this PC is that I have had no trouble at all until this virus as I was going to keep it shinny clean with unnamed spyware and other antivirus and internet security software.

However as of 2 days ago I couldn't get the machine to boot up in sage mode. So I booted normal and did a restore to earlier time.

Now that I am in safe mode I am afraid to shut it down. Is it safe to leave it running in safe mode for a extended period?

Edited by popupgotme, 04 June 2006 - 02:28 PM.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 09:48 AM

I don't think it will hurt the computer excspt if the virus is still running rampant but you will not be able to use a lot of function on the computer as safe mode doesn't lod most drivers - only the minimal required.

#7 popupgotme

popupgotme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 10:06 AM

I am thinking about buying and downloading a registry clean up software called registry fix and running it. However, this would change my HJT paste and I am not sure the software I am considering will do the trick.

What do you think about this?

#8 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 04 June 2006 - 10:18 AM

Do not, I repeat, buy ANYTHING!!!!, Follow Enthusiast's instructions to the letter and wait for help fron the Hijack this team.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 10:27 AM

If you have a HJT log posted don't do anything else until they tell you to.

If you do, it will change the way your computer really is compared to the HJT log and may make their analysis innacurate.

Wait for them.

#10 popupgotme

popupgotme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 02:23 PM

ok I've not done anything. I did however just get back form church and getting stuff for this weeks lunchs.

I booted up in regular mode, with no problem. I ran a scan and found spywareQuake. I removed it. I rebooted in safe mode and took the new shortcuts on my desktop that I thought windows updates created. One of them took me to onlinesecurity this www local took me right to pesttrap which is the place that I went in the first place that allowed them to take over my explorer shortcut. The other shortcut onlinesecuritysolutions.net takes me to spy guard or freetestonline.net/phptest/

I am in safe mode on that pc running a full scan right now. Hope all goes well

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 02:34 PM

P;ease post a description of what you did after you posted the HJT log in your HJT thread, withdrawing your request for assistance on that log.

That's so whichever HJT expert takes your log will not waste their time on the one that is now inaccurate. It takes a lot of work and a serious amount of time to analyze the log and formulate a plan to repair your registry. Using the old log will now be worthless and a total waste of time because the log you have posted will no longer be valid as you have changed registry entries on your computer by using whatever scan you used to try to remove whatever it was that you tried to remove.

After you are finished trying to fix it yourself, then post another HJT log.

#12 popupgotme

popupgotme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 02:56 PM

okay no one said running a scan was trying the same thing as trying to fix it.

Now that I have that fried all of that into my pea brain I will be less trouble.

I was trying to be more descriptive of just what led to the event of the original problem as the web site explains that is necessary. And I was concerned about all of my files after reading in an earlier post in this topic that safe mode was only safe if a virus was not running rampant. It appears that they are safe for the time being.

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 03:07 PM

It's ok, but please inform mickeymoes of what you did (in the HJT forum)

#14 popupgotme

popupgotme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 03:20 PM

Thanks I informed him I hope he is understanding also. What is the normal site donation $ amount?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users