Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

KDE Plasma 5—For those Linux users undecided on the kernel’s future

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:10 PM

Finally, the KDE project has released KDE Plasma 5, a major new version of the venerable K Desktop Environment.

Plasma 5 arrives in the middle of an ongoing debate about the future of the Linux desktop. On one hand there are the brand new desktop paradigms represented by GNOME and Unity. Both break from the traditional desktop model in significant ways, and both attempt to create interfaces that will work on the desktop and the much-anticipated, tablet-based future (which may or may not ever arrive).

KDE Plasma 5—For those Linux users undecided on the kernel’s future

My 2 cents worth.

I for 1 love KDE, It is easy to navigate user friendly and you can customize any way you like without too much fuss in most cases its click n point to download the whatever ( skins themes etc) then applying them. Argue all you like about other Desktops try them out then try KDE. Please note you will need more than 1 gb ram.

Video not my work.

http://youtu.be/UbI5HERVLWU

PS.

Unity Dash Or is it Amazon Dash now. :hysterical: 

See I bag Linux too sometimes.

Edited by NickAu1, 17 August 2014 - 09:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tech_surf

tech_surf

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:12 PM

i think the point of using linux is to make computer work in lighter environment..

kde 5 is really heavy on s/m specially netrunner(latest)

but its also true that everyone wants their desktop to be fancy and cool.

so i think

mint17 qiana cinnamon has the right balance..its amazing

very light(but not ugly),really fast,and really low on ram(250 mb at start),

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 11,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:04 PM

i think the point of using linux is to make computer work in lighter environment..

kde 5 is really heavy

You are right some Pc's cant run KDE.

However I have an i5 with 16gb ram ( Alienware clone) and like I say if you got ot flaunt it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users