Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuffit Deluxe 2010 - useful or otherwise?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 622 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:56 PM

Over the years I have used various generations of file compression utilities, all the way back to the Phil Katz original PKZIP.  I was even curious enough to learn in detail exactly how LZW, Huffman etc. actually work (hey, I was already a geek in elementary school, it did not improve my social life <G>).  I have, I suppose, multiple terabytes of compressed archives, never had any problem accessing them at need using whatever decompressor I had at the moment (PKZIP, WinZip, Stuffit etc.).  Now that I have moved to Win 8 I am wondering if I ought to bother to install the latest Stuffit (Stuffit Deluxe 2010) on the Win 8 machines.  I already have the license and the CD, been gathering dust for a while <G>, so cost is not relevant.  Is it still useful?  I didn't get much enlightenment from Google <G>.  How useful is it now, and does it run without problems under Windows 8?  I have lots of image files ... and I also have 3 external HDDs totalling 7 terabytes (so far) so I'm not likely to run out of storage space any time soon . . . a lot of those old archives are on currently "mothballed" HDDs, or on CD-Rs or Zip disks, etc.

So far on the new machine I have only had to unpack a few ZIP files using the built-in Windows utility.  What I am really asking is, is there any point in installing the Stuffit Deluxe 2010 I already have?  In the past I have used earlier versions of Stuffit and been quite satisfied.

I did, just now, spend a little time trying to learn which tools handle which kinds of archives.  Almost too confusing for my aged brain (I graduated high school in 1949).  Do I need to know all that?  I no longer aspire to geekdom (having in the meantime learned that it's easier just to look things up <G>).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,569 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:48 PM

According to the webpage: http://www.stuffit.com/win-stuffit.html

Minimum System Requirements
• Windows® 7, Vista, or XP; 40 MB of free disk space.

It's not Windows 8 compatible.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users