Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Search Indexer Stopped Working - Can't Fix This

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Blazedog12

Blazedog12

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:44 PM

I keep getting this message popping up randomly, even when my computer is sitting idle it will just pop up and I will come back and find it sitting there -- "Microsoft Windows Search Indexer stopped working and was closed.  A problem caused the application to stop working correctly.  Windows will notify you if a solution is available."  When I close that window, another "Troubleshooting" window opens to tell me how to try to fix the problem, basically instructing how to do a disk scan to check and fix errors in files.  I did this today and after a lengthy process, during which it appeared numerous files were fixed, I thought the problem was corrected.  But just now, I got this Search Indexer message again so apparently whatever was fixed on my disk earlier today did not include this problem.  Can anyone tell me how to fix this.  So far it isn't keeping me from using my computer but obviously something must be wrong or it wouldn't keep popping up and telling me there is something not working.  I would be grateful if someone could tell me how to fix it.  Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:34 PM

In the Search Box type "Indexing Options" Click the Advanced tab and press Rebuild. Hopefully this helps.

#3 Blazedog12

Blazedog12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:27 PM

Thank you JohnC.  I will give it a try and hopefully it will correct the issue. 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:48 PM

If the Rebuild does not work, use the Restore Defaults option just below Rebuild. Hopefully the Rebuild will be all that is needed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users