Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

iexplorer.exe using massive amount of resources

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 shaggyscoots

shaggyscoots

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 17 August 2014 - 04:54 PM

I just want to start off by saying I've probably only used Explorer once on this computer..  Last night I was watching a caster on twitch and my browser closed due to resources being low, the computer restarted itself and windows repair had ran.  After about 3 hours it finally booted into windows.  I now have multiple browser.exe tasks running which never showed up in processes before..  And iexplorer.exe is using almost all of my CPU and 1/4 of my ram.  I kill the task and it comes back and slowly builds up to the point where my cpu is 100% used.

I've ran Malware Bytes and it found nothing, ran AVG, found a few threats.  Rebooted still the same.  Ran HiJackThis and got rid of some of the stuffs I know are safe to remove.  Still have some things that could be fixed there, that's why I have came here for help.  Ran a couple rootkit programs and nothing was found.  I'd be grateful to get this fixed as my computer has a few different users and I need it running smoothly like normal.  Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:03 PM

Let's clarify something...before misunderstandings occur :).

Iexplorer is NOT related to Windows, in prior years, the appearance of such in Task Manager had been assumed to be malware, today it seems to be some sort of app for music transfer.

The browser process for Internet Explorer is iexplore.exe, not iexplorer.exe.  The letter difference is significant, IMO.

There is always one iexplore process reflected in Task Manager for any Windows system with IE enabled/running.  For every browser window open at the same time...there is another iexplore process reflected in Task Manager.  One window open reflects two processes in Task Manager...2 windows open reflects 3 processes...and so on.  This is normal behavior.

If you think that you have malware issues that can be clarified by a ComboFix log which you have already run...I suggest that you follow Steps 6-8 of the following link and initiate a new topic in the forum containing the Prep Guide.

Preparation Guide, Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html .

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 17 August 2014 - 06:08 PM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:45 AM

Open the Task Manager, if Internet Explorer is running click on it and then click on End Task.

Do you still see iexplorer.exe?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users