Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC not booting and no display after move!!!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 itastepurple

itastepurple

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:15 PM

Hey I just moved to my new house and setup my computer. I reconnected my drives, p/s2 keyboard, USB mouse, HDMI cable from graphics card to monitor, and plugged in the power supply. I turn it on and it seems fine, case LEDs active, HDDs spinning up, keyboard LEDs responding, mouse laser glowing. But nothing is displayed. No BIOS splash. No signal whatsoever. My monitor does however recognize my HDMI cable when (un)/plugged. I'm thinking it is either a RAM stick or slot issue or a problem with the PSU. Please help!!! If you need my hardware specifications I'll be more than happy to post any.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,864 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:23 PM

Hello, and Welcome

One thing to look at is the CMOS battery. If that has not been replaced in awhile, get a new one. After replacing it, set the BIOS settings back to default and save teh settings. Ground yourself on bare metal of the case before removing the battery.

Try power cycling the computer. Remove the power cable. Press the power button for 30 seconds. Replace the power cable and reboot.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 17 August 2014 - 04:00 PM

Reseating the memory and graphics card are two other things you can try.

#4 Zerue

Zerue

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:00 PM

And before reseating the GPU and RAM you might consider cleaning the contacts first (with a non conductive solution of course).

If I am helping you but failed to reply within 24 hours, send me a PM.

------------------------------------

Please read these guides:

Before you post a problem

Provide system specifications

Advice on building your system

#5 itastepurple

itastepurple
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:43 PM

Thanks guys, however, still no luck. Do you think maybe I handled the RAM incorrectly or (dis)assembled the components in an order that could have messed something up? Is there a proper order when it comes to disassembling or reassembling? This had happened before recently when I had swapped out P4 for a dual-core CPU which ended up not being compatible with my mobo. I reinstalled the previous CPU and my PC had the same current issue as I have now. I forgot exactly how or what I did fix the issue but I tried damn near everything. About a week ago, I upgraded my x86 P4 processor to a newer x64 compatible P4 with no issues. It worked fine up until the move. Could the CPU have maybe been knocked loose in the car? I've tried reseating my RAM as well as swapping them out with spare sticks but with no progress. Are Qtips safe to use for cleaning the connectors? Ahhhhhhh... I need my technologyyyyyyyyyy lol Thanks again for all your help everyone!!!

#6 Zerue

Zerue

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:23 AM

You might want to use an Electrical Contact Cleaner, this is a liquid non-conductive solution that may clean any dust build up on the copper contacts. as for qtips no, they are likely to leave residues. Do you know someone that can lend you some spare parts to further isolate the issue? as far as your story goes, were you able to discharge your static electricity before touching any parts inside the computer? you might have accidentally fried one of the components that might have lead to your problem.

If I am helping you but failed to reply within 24 hours, send me a PM.

------------------------------------

Please read these guides:

Before you post a problem

Provide system specifications

Advice on building your system

#7 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:37 AM

If you have moved the pc, check the insides for anything that may have come loose, especially the cpu's fan and heatsink, and the graphics card. Also check the back where you plugged in the hdmi cable to be sure you put it in the graphics card and not the on board hdmi if your motherboard provides that. Check all electrical connections going on the board from your power supply, something could've worked loose during the move

Edited by Joe C, 19 August 2014 - 08:37 AM.

#8 itastepurple

itastepurple
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:59 PM

Rearranged my RAM and it worked. I guess I must've skipped a combination when I tried reseating them lol I swear I tried every single possibility. I think my computer is messing with me man haha Thank you everyone for your assistance!!!

#9 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 03:20 PM

On another note, why did you remove your RAM when you moved the computer? I can't imagine that would be necessary unless you were transporting the computer under pretty harsh conditions.

-- Matt

#10 itastepurple

itastepurple
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 03:44 PM

I didn't remove the RAM when I moved. That was just a recurring issue I've been having.

#11 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 03:46 PM

Ahh, ok, that's good to know. I was wondering who had the time to completely disassemble a computer whenever they moved it haha.

-- Matt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users