Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TV not displaying laptop when using HDMI

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 sunnycc

sunnycc

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:41 PM

Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron laptop that is having some issues with HDMI connection. For about a year i have been connecting the laptop to my Sanyo LCD TV via HDMI and have had no issues. The laptop has always connected to the TV instantly, without requiring me to change any setting or manually use the Fn+F1 key to duplicate the image. Recently my laptop/TV have begun to stop allowing this. When I plug the Dell into the TV the laptop screen goes black for a moment, as it always has in the past before connecting, but then my TV displays a "no signal" message, and the laptop stops recognizing the connection. I have tried flipping through my TV's input settings and checking HDMI 1, 2 and 3, and turning on the TV and laptop in various orders without any luck. I have also used the Fn+F1 keys to switch from duplicate, to extend, to projector only. When choosing extend, the size of the display on the laptop changes, but the TV still does not receive signal, duplicate shows no change in laptop or TV, and projector only causes the laptop to go black for a moment, but then it comes back on with a message stating "no projector found." I believe that this may be an issue with the Sanyo TV, as recently I took my HDMI cord and used it to connect my laptop to an Emerson TV in my house, and it worked perfectly. I assume because of this I can rule out the possibility of the hdmi cord being the issue, or the laptops motherboard being the cause. I use this my TV and Laptop in conjunction a lot for streaming movies and playing music, and desperately need help! Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:59 PM

Yes, I would say you've eliminated the cord and the HDMI connector on the laptop as the problem.

Does the TV have a serial or DVI connector port? Does the laptop? Try connecting to the Sanyo TV that way, if you can get cords for those connectors. If none of those work, then I'd say the problem is with the TV.

If they do work, the HDMI connector on the TV is probably damaged. You won't get really good resolution with those other connections, but at least you can still use the TV.

#3 sunnycc

sunnycc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:05 PM

Yes, I would say you've eliminated the cord and the HDMI connector on the laptop as the problem.

Does the TV have a serial or DVI connector port? Does the laptop? Try connecting to the Sanyo TV that way, if you can get cords for those connectors. If none of those work, then I'd say the problem is with the TV.

If they do work, the HDMI connector on the TV is probably damaged. You won't get really good resolution with those other connections, but at least you can still use the TV.

I don't think my laptop has either of those ports? But generally I keep my hdmi cord connected to a cable box and my tv  to get cable on my tv and it still works that way, so I don't think it can be an issue with the actual port on the TV, but maybe just the Tv's settings.

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:12 PM

A DVI port will look like this (scroll down a bit): http://techforums.nintendo.com/message/81710

A VGA serial connector will look like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA_connector

You say this started recently? How recently? The fact that the HDMI connection works with your cable box but not the laptop could be the monitor settings, as the HDMI on the laptop works when connected to another TV. If that weren't the case, I'd say it was the video driver. But you might want to check that as well.

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:19 PM

Just a thought -- how many HDMI channels does your TV have? You might also want to check to make sure the TV is set to the HDMI channel. It sounds stupid, I know, but it happens. :P If the TV is set to another channel, like one of the video channels, you would get that error message on the screen.

#6 sunnycc

sunnycc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:23 PM

Just a thought -- how many HDMI channels does your TV have? You might also want to check to make sure the TV is set to the HDMI channel. It sounds stupid, I know, but it happens. :P If the TV is set to another channel, like one of the video channels, you would get that error message on the screen.

It started happening maybe a month ago, and all the ports on my laptop are either squares or circles, definitely neither of those! I used the tv remote and hit the input button through the three hdmi settings, a few other things, and all the video settings, and they all say "no signal" 

#7 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:32 PM

Then I would check the monitor settings, and the video driver on the laptop. You'll find that by typing Device Manager in the search bar on the Start menu and then expand Display Adapter. You should also expand Monitors in Device Manager. If there's a yellow warning icon on either one, you'll need to update the drivers.

#8 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:39 PM

Another thought -- do you plug the laptop into the same HDMI connector every time? You've got three connectors on the TV, based on your earlier post. Maybe try a different HDMI port on the TV.

#9 sunnycc

sunnycc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:42 PM

Then I would check the monitor settings, and the video driver on the laptop. You'll find that by typing Device Manager in the search bar on the Start menu and then expand Display Adapter. You should also expand Monitors in Device Manager. If there's a yellow warning icon on either one, you'll need to update the drivers.

qy9s1s.png

There seems to be no yellow warning icons,

and yes, I've connected to each of the three hdmi ports and gone through every input setting when connected to each

Edited by sunnycc, 17 August 2014 - 02:46 PM.

#10 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:45 PM

Nope. There aren't. See my earlier post about trying a different HDMI port on the TV, if there is one.

If that doesn't do it, go into Device Manager>Monitors on the laptop, right click on each monitor, and try disabling and then re-enabling it.

#11 sunnycc

sunnycc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:01 PM

Nope. There aren't. See my earlier post about trying a different HDMI port on the TV, if there is one.

If that doesn't do it, go into Device Manager>Monitors on the laptop, right click on each monitor, and try disabling and then re-enabling it.

There was only one monitor listed, a Generic PnP Monitor, which i disabled and enabled twice without any difference

#12 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:07 PM

With the laptop plugged into the TV, go into Control Panel>Display, and on the left side click Change display settings. What info do you see there? How many monitors does it detect?

#13 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:15 PM

Again, it looks like you have multiple HDMI ports on your TV. Try using different ports to connect the laptop and see if any of them work.

#14 sunnycc

sunnycc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:17 PM

Again, it looks like you have multiple HDMI ports on your TV. Try using different ports to connect the laptop and see if any of them work.

2aacw94.png

this is what shows up when i go to change display settings. And I've gone through the different TV ports with no avail. 

#15 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:22 PM

Your laptop is detecting the TV -- that's why it's showing two monitors.

Try clicking on monitor 2 and see if it shows up on the TV. Failing that, there's a setting on the TV that needs to be changed. You may need to contact Sanyo tech support.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users