Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Watch Out....The Windows Store is Full of Scams & MS don't care!

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:11 AM

Microsoft Windows Store is a mess. It's full of apps that exist only to scam people & take their money. Why doesn't Microsoft care that their flagship App store is such a cesspool? 

For more, continue reading, there are clear examples of scams, including apps that we can freely download. 

http://www.howtogeek.com/194993/the-windows-store-is-a-cesspool-of-scams-why-doesnt-microsoft-care/

Note that MS pre-approves every one of these apps prior to release to their App Store & they get their slice of the profits. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,918 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:39 AM

I would guess the primary reason is money and the secondary would be it lets Microsoft pad the number of apps available in the store. Microsoft really wanted to copy the Apple ecosystem but it backfired badly.

#3 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 451 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:20 PM

Let the numbers speak for themselves.

Doing a search on the 3 most popular search engines we find the following...

Bing
Microsoft app fraud... 4,330,000 results
Apple app fraud...     8,310,000 results
Android app fraud...  57,200,000 results

Google
Microsoft app fraud... 3,320,000 results
Apple app fraud,,,     2,290,000 results
Android app fraud...  16,800,000 results

Yahoo
apple app fraud...     8,310,000 results

Moral of the story... Don't believe everything you read on the internet!

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:53 PM

I agree & it's time for MS, with all of their highly (or overly) paid talent, to come out with their own ideas, not poorly designed copycats of the work of others. 

What great (smash hit) product has MS produced of their own since Windows 7 & Office 2010? I know lots of folks that has smartphones, but none of these are Windows branded. Most all are Apple or Android branded, or some other brand that was furnished by the cell provider. Not a one that I seen was powered by Windows. In fact, except on the Internet & from email offers from MS, I've never seen a Windows phone. 

So what's the good of all of this Secure Boot crap that Windows forces OEM's to load on their computers to prevent malware from running at boot? They then turn around & sell malware through their online store, as covered near the end of the article that I linked above. 

The only thing that MS cares about anymore is money, more money to pour into that sinkhole of an OS in Windows 8, yet won't furnish it's largest customer base (Windows 7 users) with SP2 to have native USB 3.0 support & whatever the planned SP offered, though Office 2010, released later, got SP2. There is talk of an 8.2 & possible (but doubtful) 8.3 version of Windows 8. I suppose that MS is scraping up all the cash they can, while they can, to pour into a cup with a hole in the bottom. 

Just my opinion, Windows 8 is a scam in itself. MS only truly needed a new OS to compete in the tablet market, not for notebook/PC use. In many instances, MS is getting a double sell, because Windows 7 is as popular as ever & lots of customers are loading Windows 7 onto these new computers w/out even firing up Windows 8, not even to create recovery media. By doing this, no EULA is accepted. Just simply researching online how to disable Secure Boot & enabling ACHI (or Legacy) mode, reformatting the drive as MBR, & clean installing Windows 7. Most models has Windows 7 drivers online. 

Plus with Windows 7, there's no scam apps to deal with. 

I guarantee that's why when running CCleaner on Windows 8 or 8.1, there's IE files to clean, sometimes many, though I don't use the browser. 

One thing for sure, every one of those Apps are coming off my computers, they're accessing the Internet w/out my consent (which if customers pushed the issue, MS would have to answer for). There are many customers that has cellular based ISP's with only 5GB data usage per month, this has to be eating into that cap & can cause overages. 

And to think that some of this is malware makes it all the more worse. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:57 PM

That's very true, but not all of it is lies either. 

If the story was a pure, outright 100% lie, all of it, then MS would have the basis to sue for slander & would do so, they have in the past. 

Cat

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,681 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 17 August 2014 - 04:58 PM

If Microsoft puts these  apps in its store, Then they should be safe and work as advertised, If they do not you should be able to sue Microsoft.

What I cant understand is why you guys expect anything out of Microsoft, Look at the crappy insecure operating systems it makes and you guys pay for.

They say the greatest prank Satan pulled  was to convince the world he did not exist.

That's nothing compared to Microsoft convincing people to use Windows.

Edited by NickAu1, 17 August 2014 - 08:08 PM.

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:07 PM

Doing a search on the 3 most popular search engines we find the following...

Bing
Apple app fraud...     8,310,000 results

Google
Microsoft app fraud... 3,320,000 results
Apple app fraud,,,     2,290,000 results
Android app fraud...  16,800,000 results

Yahoo
apple app fraud...     8,310,000 results

Think about this though, MS has recently released their flagship store and already they are catching up on Apple on fraud SE hits... which has been open since 1997. :rolleyes:

Moral of the story... be careful how you interpret data.

edit: not that I have any love for either of these companies, and on inspecting the MS site it reads much like the article portrays it.

Edited by TsVk!, 17 August 2014 - 08:11 PM.

#8 CharlesT

CharlesT

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:34 AM

I haven't downloaded anything yet from the store.I always try to research anything before I download it as I do with any app from any store.

#9 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:04 AM

All I've used from the app store is Microsoft Solitaire.  After reading that article, I did have a look for Firefox on the app store and was confronted with a load of junk "apps" (all paid) which use Mozilla's logo and on further investigation appear to just be offering to tell you how to install Firefox "Browzer" (in broken English) like "This app gives you how you can get Mozilla Firefox to PC".  Great...  Similar paid "apps" exist to "help you" install many other applications too.  It's just relying on people who don't read descriptions properly before installing.  So yes, watch out if you are using Apps to make sure they are what they appear to be.  Just as an aside, Firefox for Metro/Modern was abandoned so don't expect to find it in the App Store in any form.

Something that isn't immediately obvious is who the publisher of these apps are.  It is there (in tiny writing), when you click through to the description, but it really needs to be a LOT more prominent.

qT5r7us.png?1

NHMpatA.png?1

7sbvuf-6.png

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:02 PM

Why would anyone want to install a browser from the store anyway, let alone pay for it. As I recall, we quit having to pay for browsers in the late 90's. 

And VLC has always been free for as long as I can remember. 

I now see why MS on more than one occasion on Windows 8, offered to setup a billing account & am glad to have declined, but would have done so anyway. No auto billing or renewals for me. I've never fully trusted MS, this true story just adds fuel on the fire. Now I know it to be fact that MS cannot be trusted with my financial details. 

Fortunately, there are safer refuges than Windows 8 & 8.1, or any future Windows editions & am glad that I made the stance that the end of support for Windows 7 will be the end of the road for me & MS. Am already prepared in Linux Mint 17, which I use 90+% of the time & 100% of the time for any transactions. 

Cat

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,681 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:10 PM

To be fair to Microsoft. Yes you read it here first I am being fair to Microsoft.

Linux is and has been doing similar for a while now.

Look at Unity Dash in Ubuntu. or As I call it Amazon Dash. I used to love dash till they did this.

iyo3fd.png

Edited by NickAu1, 18 August 2014 - 10:13 PM.

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:14 PM

And that's another reason that Ubuntu usershare is shrinking. First, it was the Unity interface, then it was the Amazon adverts installed on the system, that one can disable, but not totally remove (as of last time I researched). I don't have an issue with the Ubuntu developers wanting to make money, as they have paid staff & expenses to pay. Rather, it's the way that they've gone about it (the implantation of spyware on the OS) that's a turn off for me. We can just leave Windows installed & have that with no extra trouble (well, except the threat of malware). 

What the Ubuntu devs has done was create a way to keep up with it's user's shopping habits & through a partnership with Amazon, now delivers ads according to what products & services it's users purchases or searches for. So if one cares about their privacy, say "No" to Ubuntu. Start topics on their forums over the issue, even if 50,000 others has done so already. 

Those items aren't displayed on Linux Mint & many other Linux OS's built on the Ubuntu platform, however I don't know about the versions that ends with "buntu". Haven't tried these in the last couple of years. Fortunately, in the Linux world, we have many choices, 

Though there are a few paid apps available for most Linux OS's & even some subscription based OS's (such as RedHat), it's not the norm & it's not shoved in one's face. 

As to these Apps in the Windows Store, MS is only showing it's greed, or is trying to recoup the untold amounts of cash wasted on Windows 8. Rather than throwing in the towel though, they have another release planned (8.2) & Lord help us when Windows 9 hits the market. It may be Free (or it may not be), but it should be, as no doubt MS will make up for it with sales of apps. Am hoping that it's not mandatory that both a MS Account & payment account is a pre-requirement, not that I care about the OS anyway. 

However I do care about others & don't want to see anyone get ripped off, especially through the very ones who advises us in emails to avoid getting defrauded (I get these emails from MS). They force the OEM's to load the computers so the average user cannot install an OS of their choice w/out paying someone else to make the BIOS changes (really it's simple to disable Secure Boot & enable ACHI), under the premise that the computers are more secure. Then turn around & sell malware. I suppose, because these apps don't run during the boot process, they're totally missed by whatever is supposed to be protecting it's customers from. 

And possibly why they tell customers that security is inbuilt, so that they don't spend money on a decent security app. Windows Defender (& MSE) is so crappy that AV-Comparatives won't include it for testing anymore. 

You know something that just came to mind? Am not on the computer at the moment, but Avast (Free version) found something that had to do with the Windows Store, a Free radio station as I recall. On that install (8.1 Pro w/Media Center), am running Avast Free & Online Armor Firewall (plus Malwarebytes Premium, Lifetime version), I'm going to have to fire up that machine to investigate. Furthermore, MS is trying to make 3rd party Firewalls, such as Online Armor, incompatible with Windows 8.1, by not allowing Windows Update to properly function with it installed (works fine on Windows 8). Causes some updates not to install. The solution is to disable HIPS (a component of the Firewall) & rerun Windows Update & the downloaded updates will install. HIPS is a common component of some 3rd party Firewalls. 

There was also an issue with the Media Center, but didn't have time to investigate. 

I hope that Windows 9 is a larger flop than Windows 8 is today. Honestly. MS needs a wake-up call. They've became comfortable in relying on history, one OS a bust, the next a smash hit. I believe a couple of flops will actually in the long run help the corporation. Plus give Windows 7 some extra lifespan & possibly all that was ever needed for most Windows customers, SP2 for Windows 7. 

It would seem that if customers wanted Store apps, they'd be best with going with Apple, they have the most experience. At least Apple has standards. 

Cat

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,681 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:41 AM

I guess 1 consolation is that Ubuntu isnt trying to sell you an installer for Firefox.

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:52 AM

No, I don't believe that the developers of Ubuntu will stoop to the lows of Microsoft. 

Both Firefox & VLC is stock equipment on Ubuntu & many Linux OS's. 

In that snapshot above, it appears as though Ubuntu is selling music. I know that Apple does this too, keeps the iTunes package popular. They probably can't give away certain singles at no cost. 

However anyone can go to MySpace & listen to all of the music desired w/out logging in. Just not new releases. 

Cat

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,918 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:44 AM

I kind of like Unity and Ubuntu. As far as the Amazon ads, those can be turned off easily. Wait until Microsoft starts charging a subscription fee for the OS or maybe some paid DLC for the OS if you want extras. I can see that happening.

VbUsS.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users