Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dell inspiron 5100

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rmielke

rmielke

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:04 AM

hi everybody!i am new to forums,actually i am still back in the 1960 s with computers,i get around to a degee,but i  never give up!

i would appreciate someones time with an issue i have with my laptop,i am stuck.

i never dis-assembled a laptop prior but i am good at repairing items with tools.

i was replacing the "motherboard"i took some pics as i was dis-assembling laptop to make sure no issues re-assembling pc,out

of nowhere a small part popped out on the table,crap i said,no i said worse!the part is 1 by 2 inches with a part of a heatsink

on top of part,no wiring and 2 screw holes for mounting.i can "send a pic" but i dont know of any email address to send it!?

any help?forward email address to send this pic?

thanks for reading

regards

bob

Edited by rmielke, 17 August 2014 - 11:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aj2

Aj2

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:48 PM

Hi. I would need to see it. Im in australia. Not sure i could fix from here

#3 rmielke

rmielke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:08 AM

aj2;

morning aj2,thankyou for reply and your help.yes is difficult from where we reside,how many miles away,a bunch!just curious,what is the time diference??12 hrs or so?

i included a "pic" of the part,the pic is  in my profile,if ya need more than this let me know.

i havnt had any help so far,and again everybodys time helping me.

thanks aj2,regards

bob.............

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 20 August 2014 - 05:49 PM.
Moved to 'Internal Hardware'

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:15 PM

and 2 screw holes for mounting

This suggests that somewhere there are two screws !  Before you go any further, make sure that they are not rattling around loose somewhere inside the casing. Loose screws are capable of causing fatal short circuits and / or making a real mess of fans.

I am not familiar with the insides of an Inspiron, but if you can get onto youTube and search for 'Inspiron 5100' and 'stripdown' or 'teardown' or 'dismantle' you will almost certainly find several videos showing you how to do it and you may well recognise your part there.

As for uploading photos, it is possible to post photos directly into a topic on BC, if you click on the button at the bottom right hand corner you will open a box which enables you to attach files. The other method, if you have some sort of cloud storage, is to upload the image to that and just paste the link to the image in your next post. As an example of this method :

http://imageshack.com/a/img194/1646/255dbd.jpg

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users