Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Computer Having Network Issues

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 EffectiveBones484

EffectiveBones484

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:01 AM

My parents just bought me a computer for my bedroom to help with my homework. It was a Refurbished HP 500-314 http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c04293928&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=6888071

Once it was all set up, we booted it and it was already having problems. I got to pick my theme, a couple of other things, and I accepted the service agreement, and it was stuck for roughly ~45 minutes on a screen reading "Next, you'll set up your account". Once that finally went away, it informed me that there were problems creating my account (Maybe because the E-mail I used already had a Microsoft account attached to it). It did, however, allow me to create a local account, which I proceeded to do.

When I was at my desktop, the wireless signal was terrible. We purchased the NETGEAR Powerline 500 WiFi Access Point (XWNB5201). After setting it up, we checked the signal by going to a few sites (Google.com and virustotal.com). I then installed the free version of AVG from free.avg.com. Once the installation was completed, AVG opened and said that I needed to update my definitions. I tried to do that but it said it could not connect to the definitions server. I opened Internet Explorer and I was unable to connect to a few sites (Most notably MSN.com, which was my homepage at the time, and virustotal). Others, like Google and random.org, worked just fine. When I checked the Networks panel, I was definitely connected. We did a few more things and AVG said the definitions were up to date. We then rebooted the computer. Once it started up, the problem restarted.

I don't even know where to start. Could I have some input?

Any help appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:07 PM

First thing we need to know is does it work with Ethernet. Inconvenient, I know, but a necessary troubleshooting step.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users