Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

error code 0x80070424

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lkbuxton

lkbuxton

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:32 AM

I discovered this problem when trying to use the firewall in Avast Premier.  I do not remember when I had a virus, but I did some time ago, and I thought I had cleaned up -- but now I realized my firewall would not start.  I received the error code 0x80070424.  I spent two weekends trying to fix this.  I got as far as realizing that some of my services (BFE and Windows Firewall) would not start.  I googled all over the place and found little to help, but did find suggestions to fix the registry.  None that I tried worked.  On the third weekend, I found BleepingComputer's site, and downloaded Windows Repair (All in One).  It suggested a clean boot, and gave instructions.  It also recommended using MalwareBytes Anti-Malware first, which I had already downloded and run, but ran again with no issues found.  Then I followed the easy instructions for Windows Repair (All in One.)  I unchecked the items for Windows 8, since I am on 7, but basically used the defaults.  My problem is solved!!  This was wonderful, and I wanted to recommend it if you are finding error code 0x80070424.and there are problems starting the Windows Firewall service.  Yay!!  I'm happy now and thought I should share with others that may be having this issue.  I am not technically savvy enough to have tackled fixing the registry by myself.  I have had no issues since I ran this application.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 17 August 2014 - 04:03 PM

Glad to hear the issue has been resolved and we appreciate you sharing your experience.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users