Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop interfering with LAN (internet speed too)??

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 alxv1

alxv1

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:44 AM

So here's the thing. I've been fixing Pc problems (viruses, missing drivers, broken settings etc.) for a long time now and this is the first time I've seen this happen.

I have my main PC connected to a modem for internet access (max download 2.2MB/s, max upload 0.120MB/s) and it has always worked great. Recently I bough a laptop and here's the strangest thing, whenever it's turned on and it's being recognized by the modem, internet speed goes down hard. From 2MB bouncing to more or less 80KB/s or non at all. Whenever I turn it off or unplug the lan cable everything goes back to normal on my pc, but it's the opposite when it's on and plugged whether my Pc is plugged or not.

Could it be that the ethernet card is damaged? In this case I don't see how this can interfere with my own Pc's internet access. This is absurd.

Edited by alxv1, 17 August 2014 - 08:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:08 AM

Hi :welcome:,

- Both machines are connected using Ethernet cables?

- If it's the case did you try to use a different port on the router?

Can you run the following on both machines and post the logs?

» Minitoolbox log
Download MiniToolBox and save the file to the Desktop.
Close the browser and run the tool, check the following options:

• Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices (select Only Problems)
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size
  • List Minidump Files
  • List Restore Points

Click on Go.

Post the resulting log in your next reply.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 alxv1

alxv1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:16 AM

- Both are connected with Ethernet cables to the same modem

- I've tried different port combinations on it but result is the same

Result log on my Pc http://pastebin.com/y0SPsRrE

The laptop is running on Ubuntu 14 so I can't run it.

It originally had Windows 7 installed but it was too slow, considering that the laptop's specs are pretty dated I switched to Zorin OS. For the first few days it worked fine and after that this started happening. I then switched to Ubuntu to see if Zorin was at fault but nothing. I'll try installing Windows on it again later, maybe it will miraculously work since I don't have any explanation for what's happening here.

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,995 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:45 PM

Hi,

You need to run a Hard Disk check on the windows machine...

Error: (08/16/2014 04:41:59 PM) (Source: Disk) (User: )
Description: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR1.

Harddisk1 it's probably a second Hard Drive you have on the machine?

If you use torrents downloads they can kill all the bandwidth easily...

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#5 alxv1

alxv1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:37 AM

There's only one physical drive, that one might be the virtual one (VirtualBox) or a logical partition which isn't showing up in Windows.

I use torrent downloads almost daily but most of the times I don't surf the internet while doing so since it'll be pretty slow, same on the laptop. Could this have anything to do with my problem? 

Edited by hamluis, 18 August 2014 - 05:14 PM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,995 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:18 AM

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply.

There's only one physical drive, that one might be the virtual one (VirtualBox) or a logical partition which isn't showing up in Windows.

It's a physical drive but it could be an external drive you had connected at some point.

I use torrent downloads almost daily but most of the times I don't surf the internet while doing so since it'll be pretty slow, same on the laptop. Could this have anything to do with my problem?

Restart the computer and the router, don't use any torrents client on both computers and see if the problem persists.

Some routers have problems dealing with the so many connections used by torrents and can became slow or crash.

___
Rui

#7 alxv1

alxv1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2014 - 02:28 PM

Hi, sorry for my late reply as well. It turns out it was the power adapter/battery, still not sure. I brought the laptop in my room and installed Windows on it, and for some reason the internet worked as it should. I brought it back to the other room and all of a sudden it worked badly again. At first I though the wireless device was at fault, so I unplugged the power adapter moving through the house and bam, it worked. Now the power adapter is plugged all the way in my room and it works perfectly. I'm no electrician so I don't know what the relation between power and internet speed but that was it, very strange.

Edited by alxv1, 28 August 2014 - 02:28 PM.

#8 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,995 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2014 - 02:59 PM

Hi,

This is the normal behavior of Windows it will reduce the power consumption to increase battery time.
In some cases this could lead to losing the wireless connection if the connection signal isn't strong.

Depending on the wireless driver it could have some options related to power settings, check the wireless card device Properties on the Windows Device Manager, another possibility is to change the Windows power options, check the following article Setting wireless adapter power management

Edited by SleepyDude, 28 August 2014 - 02:59 PM.

___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users