Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Capture Win98se

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lewislewis

Lewislewis

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 03 June 2006 - 08:17 PM

Hi,
I have been using video capture with Premiere 6.5 and MGI but recently I have been dropping about 20% of the frames. I use firewire, P3 800, 75 gig free 0n 80 gig 7200 HD. My camera is a panasonis dv 200. I would think the system might be old but it worked well for 4+ years. Any Ideas?
Thanks
Lewis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,225 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 04 June 2006 - 08:19 AM

Hi there,

Can you remember if you made any changes to your system, such as installing software or hardware/drivers, or un-installing for that matter, which would co-incide with the beginning of the problem?

Have you done normal system maintenance, such as defragmanting the hard drive? Even though there is a lot of free space, fragmentation can still cause degraded performance. And definitely ensure the system is free of any malware - a virus or spyware program can hit system performance.

Also, it may not relate directly to this problem occurring now, but are you aware there is a Firewire patch for 98SE?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloa...394/default.asp

Part of the stated benefit is: "Large performance improvements, in the order of 300%, have been made over the implementation of 1394 storage drivers in Windows 98 Second Edition." This would indicate Firewire transfer rate with the native 98SE drivers is well under the potential, which could lead to other system weaknesses being more likely to affect your capture.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,225 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 04 June 2006 - 08:26 AM

For some reason, I can't edit my post - maybe some incompatability with Konqueror?

Anyway, apart from wanting to correct the typo in "defragmenting", I also wished to add make sure DMA hasn't become disabled for your hard drive in Device Manager.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 04 June 2006 - 08:29 AM

Hi Lewislewis.
Are these "lost frames" evident on another playback device other then your PC?
Reason I ask is to determine if it's in the actual recording\capture itself or if it's just limited to your computer?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users