>> Internet explorer had the home page set to search.conduit
<< Note that this is a "reasonably common" problem / page hijack
I have stopped short of calling it an infection, since it was in one of the recent programs you downloaded and you agreed to install it.
This is the usual method of basic detection and removal.
Try to download all tools to desktop, and Copy and Paste
These tools can be loaded to a cleaned
USB stick and transferred to your computer.
Please download and run RKill
- A black DOS box will appear for a short time and then disappear.
- This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
- At most the tool will usually run for about 2 minutes
Please Copy and Paste the log back here.
Do not reboot your computer until you complete the next step.
- Download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save to your Desktop.
- Double-click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
* Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
- Click on the Scan button only once to ensure a correct reading
- AdwCleaner will begin...be patient as the scan may take some time to complete.
- After the scan has finished, click on the Report button only once for accuracy.
- A report (AdwCleaner[R0].txt) will open in Notepad for your review.
- Check the listed removals and see if you are OK with them.
- If you have questions, post the Report log back here.
- Click on the Clean button only once to ensure a correct reading
- Press OK when asked to close all programs and follow the onscreen prompts.
- Press OK finally to allow AdwCleaner to Restart the computer and complete the removal process.
- After rebooting, a log report (AdwCleaner[S0].txt) will open automatically.
Copy and Paste the contents of that log in your next reply.
Note: With most Adware / Junkware / PUPs it is strongly recommended to deal with it like a legitimate program and uninstall from Programs and Features or Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel. In many cases, using the uninstaller of the adware not only removes the adware more effectively, but it also restores any changed configuration. After uninstallation, then you can run specialized tools like AdwCleaner and JRT to fix any remaining entries they may find.
After you run this program, please reset
your Home Page to the normal page ..........If you do not know how, always ask.
With the running of this following program, it will ping Yahoo.com and Google.com
Please download MiniToolBox
to desktop to run it.
Checkmark the following boxes:
* List content of Hosts
* Flush DNS
* Report IE Proxy Settings
* Reset IE Proxy Settings
* Report FF Proxy Settings
* Reset FF Proxy Settings
* List last 10 Event Viewer log
* List Installed Programs
* List Users, Partitions and Memory size
Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.
and Copy / Paste the result. (result.txt
Tell me if you do not understand, or if the programs cause more problems.
Also tell me how the system is running after you finish these so we can do any next steps.
Edited by Queen-Evie, 18 August 2014 - 10:10 PM.
edited to remove quote