Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Search Conduit - maybe.....?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 U.C.

U.C.

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:31 AM

HP Pavilion 20 All in One running windows 8. I got the call when it "my email doesn't work". the problem was a little more in-depth than that but this is what I have:

The wired and wireless adapters both show connected to the network and I can ping 127.0.0.1 and google.com from the command prompt with NO packet loss. Internet explorer cannot display any page. I tried resetting internet explorer. I tried an offline install of firefox. I tried un-installing both adapters and even tried updating drivers. I tried the System Auto Repair which came back that it can't repair anything. I tried system restore but no restore points had been created. Internet explorer had the home page set to search.conduit which I cannot find any remnants of other than the home page. I'm hoping someone has run into this before and shed some light on what I missed. There are probably a great number of questions I have left the answer ot out of this post since I wasn't writing my procedure down as I threw things at it. I'm about ready to throw it out my window but that still wouldn't help in the long run. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 17 August 2014 - 07:39 AM.
Moved from AV/AM Software to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:25 AM

>> Internet explorer had the home page set to search.conduit << Note that this is a "reasonably common" problem / page hijack
I have stopped short of calling it an infection, since it was in one of the recent programs you downloaded and you agreed to install it.

This is the usual method of basic detection and removal.
Try to download all tools to desktop, and Copy and Paste your responses

These tools can be loaded to a cleaned USB stick and transferred to your computer.

Please download and run RKill by Grinler.
  • A black DOS box will appear for a short time and then disappear.
  • This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
  • At most the tool will usually run for about 2 minutes
Please Copy and Paste the log back here.

Do not reboot your computer until you complete the next step.

NOW :
  • Download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save to your Desktop.
  • Double-click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
     * Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • Click on the Scan button only once to ensure a correct reading
  • AdwCleaner will begin...be patient as the scan may take some time to complete.
  • After the scan has finished, click on the Report button only once for accuracy.
  • A report (AdwCleaner[R0].txt) will open in Notepad for your review.
  • Check the listed removals and see if you are OK with them.
  • If you have questions, post the Report log back here.
Next
  • Click on the Clean button only once to ensure a correct reading
  • Press OK when asked to close all programs and follow the onscreen prompts.
  • Press OK finally to allow AdwCleaner to Restart the computer and complete the removal process.
  • After rebooting, a log report (AdwCleaner[S0].txt) will open automatically.
    Copy and Paste the contents of that log in your next reply.
Note: With most Adware / Junkware / PUPs it is strongly recommended to deal with it like a legitimate program and uninstall from Programs and Features or Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel. In many cases, using the uninstaller of the adware not only removes the adware more effectively, but it also restores any changed configuration. After uninstallation, then you can run specialized tools like AdwCleaner and JRT to fix any remaining entries they may find.

After you run this program, please reset your Home Page to the normal page ..........If you do not know how, always ask.

With the running of this following program, it will ping Yahoo.com and Google.com

Please download MiniToolBox  to desktop to run it.
 Checkmark the following boxes:
 * List content of Hosts
 * Flush DNS
 * Report IE Proxy Settings
 * Reset IE Proxy Settings
 * Report FF Proxy Settings
 * Reset FF Proxy Settings
 * List last 10 Event Viewer log
 * List Installed Programs
 * List Users, Partitions and Memory size
 Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.
 Click Go and Copy / Paste the result. (result.txt)

Tell me if you do not understand, or if the programs cause more problems.
Also tell me how the system is running after you finish these so we can do any next steps.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 18 August 2014 - 10:10 PM.
edited to remove quote

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:18 PM

Several posts have been removed from this topic. We can now get back to what is needed, helping U.C. with his/her issues.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 18 August 2014 - 10:33 PM.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:48 PM

Hello U.C. -

We have not heard from you for a couple of days, and we are still able to help you.

Are you able to contact us even via another computer ??

Thank You -

#5 U.C.

U.C.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:14 PM

My apologizes to everyone that has attempted to help with my issue. I tried the first couple of suggestions from posts that have since been removed but I had brick by the time I was done. I have since began a clean install of Windows 7 Pro and have almost completed that task. I'm down to working half days now (6 to 6) so I'm not as fast as the "the boss" would like me to be. Again, thank you all for the advice.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:26 PM

Thank you very much for the update.

If you only have Install problems, please post to Windows 7 area for help, but if you find an "infection" problem post back here.

This topic will remain open, and is watched by me ..........

Be very careful of any programs you install, like Deal Savers or similar Savers programs as they will include Conduit problems, but we can usually clean them out -

Thanks and best Regards - John -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users