Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Account and Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:39 AM

When installing Windows 8.1, at least from a boxed copy (bought from a store), M$ will attempt to make you create a M$ Account to log into the computer, during installation.  Here is how to prevent that, and use a local account (like in Windows 8 (not 8.1), 7, and Vista).

Make sure your Ethernet cable is unplugged, and you don't initially connect/setup your wireless.  After you finally Windows installed, and it shows your desktop/start screen, you then can plug your cables back in and/or set up the wireless.

This actually is the easiest way to do it.  When you allow M$ to force you to create a M$ account, your ID locally is based on what you used as your userid on the account.  For me, even on my local account, I don't use my real name.  Although you can change to a local account, the userid is still based your M$ account, and to change the ID, "John Q. Public", can be frustrated, so why not do it at the start.  Unplugging the Ethernet cable, and not sitting up the wireless for a couple of minutes is a lot easier, than trying to make the change later!

I don't know about using a recovery partition or recovery DVDs, because I install from a boxed copy of Windows 8.1.

Have a great day!
:bananas: :bounce:

Edited by scotty_ncc1701, 17 August 2014 - 05:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users