Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading CPU really need help

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Rawstyle

Rawstyle

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 17 August 2014 - 04:13 AM

Hi Guys,

I want to upgrade my pc a bit cause when im playing a game ( World of Warcraft ) it always 

freeze or goes slow when i raid with 25 man at the start of the battle.

So i did a check to see what is causing this and i noticed my Cpu might be a bit low.

I dont have much knowledge for upgrading a pc so i was wondering if you guys want to help me to pick

some upgrade parts.

These are my specs.

qqa71k.jpg161jal2.jpg

2447k1u.jpg2ryjcef.jpg

6h7q8m.jpg  zl3s6p.jpg

This is a game scan i did for the game.

2m5nu48.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:10 AM

Upgrading your CPU is probably going to be close to upgrading your whole machine.  You're most likely going to need to replace your system board, CPU and RAM.

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:35 AM

The fastest processors that the motherboard will take are the last of the Core 2 Quad series like the Q9550 and Q9650, or the Core 2 Quad Extreme Editions e.g QX9650 according to this.  These are likely to only be available used (eBay etc) and aren't that cheap, especially the QX processors.  You will need to upgrade the BIOS to a later version than you have now to run these processors (I'd suggest the latest one).  A more significant CPU upgrade to something current will need a new motherboard and RAM as Kilroy says.

With decent cooling (something better than an Intel HSF) you could probably push up the FSB speed a bit to overclock the processor.  Those chips had quite a lot of potential.  It's effectively free and if it doesn't work well you can always put it back to stock by resetting the BIOS. Guides to overclocking are out there, but it's something you'd really have to look into yourself.

Edited by jonuk76, 17 August 2014 - 08:48 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 Zerue

Zerue

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:31 AM

I agree with @Killroy. If you are planning to upgrade your CPU, my personal recommendation is for you to get a new CPU, which might need a new Motherboard (compatibility issues)

While youre at it, you can also consider getting a new Video Card as it may bottleneck the performance of your new CPU (your GPU is decent but pretty outdated).

RAM at 8 Gigs is pretty much a standard, if you want you can add more. 

I just want to ask what will you be doing with your Computer. Mostly gaming? Or you would be doing some video/content editing? Would you consider getting a new build? If so, please include your location and budget. Cheers!

If I am helping you but failed to reply within 24 hours, send me a PM.

------------------------------------

Please read these guides:

Before you post a problem

Provide system specifications

Advice on building your system

#5 Rawstyle

Rawstyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:47 PM

Thanks alot!

#6 Rawstyle

Rawstyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:52 AM

Hi guys another questions.

Does anyone have some good combo's with a new Motherboard - CPU and a cooler. Just optimal for a good game computer.

My budget is around 500 euro.

I appreciate for some links to the object's !

Edited by Rawstyle, 23 August 2014 - 03:53 AM.

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:20 AM

Unfortunately I'm in the US and don't know may European sites.  Here New Egg frequently has CPU and motherboard combos, but rarely do they include a cooler.  I think that is the biggest disservice that Intel did to their customers, not include a cooler with their retail CPUs.

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:47 AM

Unfortunately I'm in the US and don't know may European sites.  Here New Egg frequently has CPU and motherboard combos, but rarely do they include a cooler.  I think that is the biggest disservice that Intel did to their customers, not include a cooler with their retail CPUs.

They do, well here in the UK anyway.  If you buy the boxed retail CPU's they include the familiar small, no frills Intel CPU cooler.  I'd normally fit a better one anyway, but it's there if you need it.

intel_core-i5-3570k_retail.jpg

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 Rawstyle

Rawstyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:52 PM

Is the Asus crosshair V a good motherboard somthing you would recommend me for gaming?

http://www.paradigit.nl/asus-crosshair-v-formula-z-socket-am3-atx/20176791/details.aspx?channel_code=40&product_code=91059704&utm_medium=pricecompare&utm_source=tweakers

#10 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:48 PM

It's good.  But first I would decide on the following.

Intel Core or AMD FX?

What sort of graphics setup?  Single card or multiple cards?

Will you be overclocking?

7sbvuf-6.png

#11 Zerue

Zerue

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:54 AM

It's good.  But first I would decide on the following.

Intel Core or AMD FX?

What sort of graphics setup?  Single card or multiple cards?

Will you be overclocking?

Ditto.

Also, what is the size of your case? Any audio preference? If were talking about motherboard and CPU you could get a high tier for both of those (considering your budget) and leave the upgrade of your PSU and GPU for later.

Edit : Crosshair V will only hurt your budget, and I dont think you would fully use the included features anyway. I recommend a decent mobo that would cater your needs since they dont pretty much affect your overall performance (to some extent).

Edited by Zerue, 24 August 2014 - 01:58 AM.

If I am helping you but failed to reply within 24 hours, send me a PM.

------------------------------------

Please read these guides:

Before you post a problem

Provide system specifications

Advice on building your system

#12 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2014 - 04:51 AM

Looking at your specs I'm thinking that you may have other things running that may be the cause of your issues.  What else are you running while you're raiding?

If you continue on the build path I recommend picking your CPU first, then a motherboard that supports your selected CPU.  Next the RAM and video card, finally a power supply that will be sufficient for your video card.  Then add your drives and anything else you need.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users